• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GCSE / A Level Grades

subjectkate

iDoes anyone know what the equivalent grade a Second Dan in Wado Ryu is? I know that you can choose karate as a sport for GCSE and A/As level PE but I'm not sure what grades match what kyu's / Dan grades.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF, subjectkate; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

I tend to agree with Nidan Melbourne...Have you asked your teacher yet??

If you're referring to General Certificate of Secondary Education, for a Nidan is, if even the slightest, subjective to the style, this being Wado. What and how a Nidan might scale to a GCSE will differ from style to style and CI to CI. CI meaning Chief Instructor.

After all, we're referring to MA ranks, and this is as wide as the skies are; unimaginable, to say the least.

1 through 9, 9 being the highest, I'd possibly say...

Beginner/10th kyu to 8th kyu at a 1

Intermediate/7th kyu to 4th kyu at a 2

Advanced/3rd kyu to 1st kyu a 3

Shodan and Nidan a 4

Sandan and Yondan a 5

Godan and Rokudan a 6

Nanadan and Hachidan a 7

Kudan a 8

Judan a 9

In this, I suppose that a 'A' Level would be a 9 all the way down to Level 'U' being a 1. Nidan might fit as a 'D'; having this scale...

A* A B C D E F G U

A* for Judan

A for Kudan

B for Hachidan to Rokudan

C for Godan to Sandan

D for Nidan and Shodan

E for Ikkyu to Sankyu

F for Nanakyu to Yonkyu

G for Hachikyu to Jukyu

U for Mukyu

With a scaling up or down of each rank with a '+' or a '-', depending on the CI.

Of course, my layout, is of course, an unsupported hypothesis!!

By the way, if I'm way off base totally on this, please allow my death be a merciful one. :P

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Welcome to the forums subjectkate :)

I think this answer depends on which exam board you're sitting PE with. From memory most go with Shotokan syllabus but you can do a different style as long as you submit written explanation as to how your style differs. To be honest best to ask your teachers who should give you a copy of the syllabus.

I don't think the criteria is particularly taxing though. For GCSE the Taekwondo syllabus was equivalent to about an 8th kup / yellow belt level. (This tallies up with what the KUGB say: https://www.kugb.org/karate-gcse-alevels.php) If you are 2nd dan I think you'd pass the top level requirements for each.

The TKD requirements were some basic fundamentals, the first two forms (kata) and basic step sparring. The idea is that over the 2 years you do your GCSE's, a student should be able to pick up any sport and then test in it for GCSE PE after 2 years. So the criteria is written with complete novices in mind.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In this, I suppose that a 'A' Level would be a 9 all the way down to Level 'U' being a 1. Nidan might fit as a 'D'; having this scale...

A* A B C D E F G U

A* for Judan

A for Kudan

C for Godan to Sandan

D for Nidan and Shodan

E for Ikkyu to Sankyu

F for Nanakyu to Yonkyu

G for Hachikyu to Jukyu

U for Mukyu

Bob, lets hope you don't need a Judan to get an A*. You normally sit your GCSE's when you're 15 - 16. Don't know many teens who have that rank :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

A* A B C D E F G U

A* for Judan

A for Kudan

C for Godan to Sandan

D for Nidan and Shodan

E for Ikkyu to Sankyu

F for Nanakyu to Yonkyu

G for Hachikyu to Jukyu

U for Mukyu

Bob, lets hope you don't need a Judan to get an A*. You normally sit your GCSE's when you're 15 - 16. Don't know many teens who have that rank :lol:

Well...opps...my bad...let me just repeat what I posted earlier here...

By the way, if I'm way off base totally on this, please allow my death be a merciful one.

With that being said, I've a Judan in stupidity on this topic....I'll go sit in the corner where I belong!! I was WAY OFF...WAY OFF!! Sorry, all!!

:blush:

**Proof is on the floor!!!