• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

April Fool's! About Patrick's Dojo

Hey all,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com!

Earlier today, in honor of April Fool's Day, we announced that I was launching my own all-digital martial arts instruction service, Patrick's Dojo. Through Patrick's Dojo, I would teach you the martial arts, just from what I have gathered here, reading posts on KarateForums.com and observing an alleged over 700 martial arts.

Check out the website for Patrick's Dojo: http://www.karateforums.com/dojo/

You might say the website was just a little tongue-in-cheek, promising "the most complete, and most lethal, system ever created." With a process described as "quality, value, convenience" (the slogan for television shopping network QVC), worthy students would submit a two page paper and $199.98 (and $147.98) to be considered. Then I'd train them through a series of videos. And after a separate testing fee, they would potentially earn their rank - which would be reflected on KarateForums.com.

:lol:

This joke spawned out of an idea from Danielle (DWx) with Devin (Lupin1) providing some excellent copy for the website and JR suggesting some ideas, too, with support from the staff as a whole. Thank you to all of them.

I found it funny in a couple of ways. First, obviously, the scammy-sounding nature of the page, where it is a little out there, but also kind of believable, too. It's not so much a critique of digital instruction, which I know some of us feel can offer value, but just of those who seek to separate a person from their money.

The other side of it is that, if you've been here very long, you probably know that. I think this has led to some people to question my motives for running this community, even 16 years in, and the move to a cash grab totally plays into those suspicions. :D The idea of me teaching the martial arts is really absurd. :)

I hope that you had a great day and that this fake service gave you a chuckle.

Thank you for your patience. :)

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good one. Now where do I really send my money?

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

That was a pretty good April Fool's Day joke; worthy of being one of the best we've seen here at KF.

Had I seen Patrick's Dojo outside of KF, I would've just 86'd it accordingly, and went on with my life. The sad thing about the whole thing is that things similar to Patrick's Dojo really and truly exist all around the world.

In that, many unsuspecting consumers believe things like this, and in that, they not only waste money, but time, as well. Both can never be replaced!!

Still, this is a April Fools Day joke, and in that, I got a real kick out of it; laughed my head off...visualization was all over the place for me!!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

"TAKE MY MONEY!"

HAhahahah, I did visit it and thought it was very well done. A great 1st April "event"!

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

I think it's broke. I tried to join and it kept bringing me back to the home page. I hope this doesn't mean I missed out on learning the most complete style ever concocted from such a overly qualified instructor!

Great joke.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words, LLLEARNER, Bob, catlike, Bulltahr, John, MatsuiShinshii and Brian. :) I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Patrick