• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you tie your Karate belt?

Dani_001

Hi guys and ladies,

I just would like to get an idea how you tie your belt and why? I recently came across a video on YouTube where a sensei shows how to tie your belt in a "super lock" style where it produces a very neat knot, looks presentable and doesn't slip. This way, however is not conventional but I seem to like it.

Any thoughts?

Uphold the Budo spirit and nothing will overcome you!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I learned the "lockdown" knot in Judo--it's much more prevalent in grappling arts than in striking arts, although my KishimotoDi instructor also uses it. As it stands, though, I generally just do the standard square knot with the back crossed, instead of overlapped. I was originally taught to do the full overlap in the back, but it's less comfortable for me, takes longer to tie, and doesn't really add anything to my karate.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

How do I tie my belt?? With my hands!!

Forgive me for that, I couldn't resist!! Mine are square-knotted; right over and under into a firm knot. That's how I was taught to tie my belt, and this is what I teach my students.

:wave:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The square knot is the standard way and wether it is crossed in the back or overlapping is either a dan versus kyu thing; or left to the discretion of individual instructors. What ever the tying method, new belts usually tend to slip and untie themselves, especially those fancy silk covered "look-at-me" blackbelts.