• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu practitioner wanting to tough up his hands

danbrendel

Hi guys, I started training northern shaolin again a month ago after not training for a few years. It definitely feels great and I'm not sure why I stopped in the first place (life, family, work, studies, money, kids, excuses? lol)

I'm 35 years old, and I've exercised since as far back as I can remember. What I've been doing all this time that I did not train martial arts per se is, stretching, calisthenics, jogging, etc.

I searched for a karate forum because, I keep injuring my hands, so I thought you may point me to exercises I could practice to make them tougher, my training is very lacking in this regard. Did I come to the right place.

There's tons of great info and people in here so I'll get to reading!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum! We do have a Chinese Martial Arts section, where you might find some assistance in Chinese methods of conditioning the hands. To be fair, many karate practitioners who chose to condition their hands actually use Chinese methods, as well :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to KF, danbrendel! :) Noah (Wastelander) knows a fair bit about hand conditioning as well! Please feel free to start a new topic with any questions, and I am sure some members will be happy to offer some help. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Welcome to KF, danbrendel; glad that you're here!!

Not to steal anyone's thunder from them, so the only thing I know is Hondu Undo, and all that it entails; it's all I've ever known. What Chinese conditioning I know, can fit into a thimble; my background is Okinawan at nature!!

I hope someone here can help you find the info you're seeking!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 months later...