2017 Martial Arts Goals

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2016 got kind of waylaid by cancer, surgery and radiation/chemo, though I managed to compete in the midst of that. so my goal for this year is to finish all that crap about March and get back into shape and show my kids dad ain't done yet. I was pretty happy with where I was right up until the surgery, I want to build on that level.

I was aiming to compete in poomsae in the open groups and hopefully qualify for higher tournaments, KKW adding some new and more acrobatic patterns for us middle aged folks means I need to work harder on that.

Part of all this is the next grading, not to get the grade but to do the grading and come out knowing I'm back in the game by my standards.

2016 got kind of waylaid by cancer, surgery and radiation/chemo, though I managed to compete in the midst of that. so my goal for this year is to finish all that crap about March and get back into shape and show my kids dad ain't done yet. I was pretty happy with where I was right up until the surgery, I want to build on that level.

I was aiming to compete in poomsae in the open groups and hopefully qualify for higher tournaments, KKW adding some new and more acrobatic patterns for us middle aged folks means I need to work harder on that.

Part of all this is the next grading, not to get the grade but to do the grading and come out knowing I'm back in the game by my standards.

Best of luck tubby :) Hope you're back fighting fit soon

What are the new KKW poomse like? Much different from what you've done before?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

What a year tubby!!! Here's to a healthy and awesome year for you and your family!

8)

I most assuredly and wholeheartedly agree; you and yours are in my prayers. Here's to a much better 2017!!

:wave:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In a few weeks we'll turn the page to a new chapter-- the year 2017.

365 pristine blank pages lay before you. What are you going to do to fill them up?

Benjamin Franklin said "let each new year find you a better man. (or woman)" What steps will you take to ensure you're a better martial artist by the time we reach that last page?

This can include goals for training, teaching, learning, health and fitness, or anything that relates in any way to martial arts.

I am so glad you posted this. I need to get my goals written down.

My place of work has a pedometer based reward system. I am saving the money I earn on that to buy a muay tai bag for my basement.

Currently I am almost 3 months into having my yellow belt. My training has suffered some due to being a full-time student, parent, and worker. I am not by nature a rank chaser. I decided to do this for time with my daughter, self-improvement, and fun. That being said, I would like to earn my blue belt, have my daughter pass for yellow next go around, and dedicate more time to training, at least 4 hours/week during the semester, and 7 hours/week when school is not in session. Regardless of time I would like to do 10 reps of kata a day.

In addition I want to do more history and philosophy reading pertaining to MA during school breaks. I also need to create my textbook. I do better when I write things down in steps with pictures. It helps my brain retain the steps in a kata, or Judo throw. I have a little notebook I carry with me at work so that I can always have something to study. I need to finish my blue belt one with short descriptions and diagrams. It helped when I studied for my yellow.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Best of luck tubby :) Hope you're back fighting fit soon

What are the new KKW poomse like? Much different from what you've done before?

Thanks everyone. Im doing ok now, was quite happy to.pull a hamstring last week, it means my stitchd up bowels arent the weak link now. I skip one session every other week the day after chemo, apart from that and one day absolutely flattened in bed im in the very lucky group. Its very confronting to see others in the chemo rooms who cant get in under their own steam and they arent all old.

The new poomsae are very flashy. In the two for the 30-50 age group's theres things like back hook kick into jump back hook kick and roundhouse into spin jump rh. All seems to be geared to that showy side of tkd but ill give them a go and expect them to be fun to try if KKW ever documents them properly