• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it normal ?

Safroot

I just looked at it as substituting different movements on the same or similar pattern. Most often the pattern (embussen) is an I or an upside down or right side up T; you may go off at 45 degree angles, but most follow that pattern until you get to black belt level stuff

Definitely I will try this way & hopefully it helps. Thanks JR 137 for the advice :karate:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without bunkai, kata more or less becomes a glorified dance routine for a lot of people

That's describes what I feel to a great extent, I would only add that it's very hard to remember :x

Break it down into manageable sections. Concentrate on the first 5 or 6 moves, practice only them until you've got it in your head, then move on to the next 5 or 6 and so on. Once you've got to the end, put it all together and practice the whole thing, after a while it will become second nature to move through the whole kata. I often take a particular part of a kata and practice it over and over until I find I'm better understanding it.

Practice once, practice twice, practice "Mo Ichido" - One more time!

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Without bunkai, kata more or less becomes a glorified dance routine for a lot of people

That's describes what I feel to a great extent, I would only add that it's very hard to remember :x

Break it down into manageable sections. Concentrate on the first 5 or 6 moves, practice only them until you've got it in your head, then move on to the next 5 or 6 and so on. Once you've got to the end, put it all together and practice the whole thing, after a while it will become second nature to move through the whole kata. I often take a particular part of a kata and practice it over and over until I find I'm better understanding it.

Practice once, practice twice, practice "Mo Ichido" - One more time!

Mo.

Thanks mazzybear. I will try segmenting the kata & work on each segment by itself. I am happy to try anything to get this kata problem sorted out

Which kata(s) are you working on?

I am still a very beginner & currently not training in dojo but should start back in January after the Christmas break.

Currently I am trying to remind myself with the katas I have learned before which are Taikyoku Sono Ichi & Taikyoku Sono Ni, I am trying to practice it at home.

My problem with not liking the kata started when I was training in the previous dojo though.