• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it for the Art or for Money ?

Re: Safroot's question;

A B C = Always Be Conditioning.

Wake up and pandiculate while still in bed.

Go to the WC and do some wrist and finger exercises Chin Na and Aikido style; every trip to the WC when seated I will do these exercises.

Make breakfast while standing on one foot or the other.

Eat breakfast with one foot on the counter top and alternate legs.

Have a shower and do some stretching and relaxing while there and massage the neck.

Towel dry with more stretching utilizing the towel.

Get dressed at the same time stretch with the clothes.

Strap on ankle weights and perhapse work on perfecting or remembering a form.

Watch some informative MA videos while stretching out.

Clean the house while bending and stretching.

Go for a brisk walk wearing ankle weights or a back pack with weights.

Do some Yoga in the park or use the free open air adult exercise equipment.

Walk back home make lunch and play with the pull up bar attached to the bathroom door frame.

Work on proper posture while eating lunch.

Watch more educational MA videos during my digestion or have a cat nap.

Out the door for another brisk walk without the ankle weights perhaps for about 6 kilometers.

Quickly get cleaned up have a snack and out the door to give an MA class. If no class that evening, then perhaps watch a movie while stretching.

Go home again shower and stretch again, eat supper and write some comments here on KarateForum.com

That's just one day in the life and times, every day is different but keeping to the A B C idea.

Wow, that's pretty interesting sure will try it. Thanks

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the 1980's I have co-owned two schools. The first didn't survive because of location. I was required to maintain insurance and could not handle the cost. The second school failed because I could not keep enough students. Looking back on the latter, I saw that I shared in some of the blame because I wouldn't bend from my teaching approach.

In my experience, students wished to progress at a fast rate, even if the growth wasn't actually there. I suspect that's why some schools cover the spectrum of belt colors. Still others were looking for things I wasnt willing to offer like a substitute for daycare, or fitness center. Needless to say I never got rich! The chain schools seem to be the ones most geared to money before substance, beyond that I suppose the responsibility falls to the student to see that they are getting what they want from the instructors.

I agree that there are many things we can do to train ourselves daily. Such as awareness drills, or some fitness or kata work. Beyond that though, depending on your level of training, you still need the guidance of a qualified experienced instructor. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect, and that requires guidance and wisdom from someone further down the path.

I suppose in the end all you can do is try an instructor out and see if it's a good fit for your specific needs. Regardless of whether or not they are "in it for the money."

Thanks lowkickr , I am not looking for fast track ranking. I want an instructor to teach me the real Karate art even if it takes ages which I am sure it will . I will give tne new dojo a go & see !

Is it for the money or for the art?

For me, BOTH!! I can't separate the two because both need each other.

The love of the art, particularly Shindokan, came first!! Then came the desire to teach!! Then came the desire to open my Kyuodan Dojo!! Then came the realization, and desire, in that order, to make that reality a possibility, I needed to make money!! No money equals...no Kyuodan Dojo and no Kyuodan Dojo equals...no teaching Shindokan and no teaching Shindokan equals...not making a living!!

Many, many, many years later, both the art and the money are equally important; none being more important than the other.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The love of the art, particularly Shindokan, came first!! Then came the desire to teach!! Then came the desire to open my Kyuodan Dojo!! Then came the realization, and desire, in that order, to make that reality a possibility, I needed to make money!! No money equals...no Kyuodan Dojo and no Kyuodan Dojo equals...no teaching Shindokan and no teaching Shindokan equals...not making a living!!

Many, many, many years later, both the art and the money are equally important; none being more important than the other.

I agree with you that both are important but for some instructors they will never correct your technique or tell you that you need improvement, they will never be harsh on you during the training in order not to leave the dojo and they lose money ! So practically you will end up with really some bad techniques that you will struggle later on in your journey to fix as long as they are getting the money !

It's hard equation for the instructor I believe !

I agree with you that both are important but for some instructors they will never correct your technique or tell you that you need improvement, they will never be harsh on you during the training in order not to leave the dojo and they lose money ! So practically you will end up with really some bad techniques that you will struggle later on in your journey to fix as long as they are getting the money !

It's hard equation for the instructor I believe !

What you're saying is absolutely true!!

Those instructors that fit into what you're describing is disturbing. For me, those type of instructors should not teach anything; their priorities are all askew to the nth degree...walk away from that type of instructor before someone's MA training is tainted for life!!

The sooner that student figures that out, the better for their MA journey. Many times, no one tells them that they're doing it all wrong. How can that be? Pride comes before the fall!! But the student must be told, by someone, by anybody, that's outside the circle of influences. The time to be politically correct has long passed when a bad instructor ignores the well being of their student(s).

I've no tolerance for bad instructor who choose anything and everything over their student(s). I'll tell both the CI AND the students what's wrong, and why it's wrong, and how to correct it. Why? The CI means nothing to me...not over a student.

I'm not in the MA to impress anyone, especially a bad CI....not now...not ever!! CI's are to TEACH above all things. The bad apples of the MA are there, and they'll be there until someone puts a stop to it. Who'll do that? Two kinds! The good CI and THE STUDENT!! The student wakes up, then walks out on the bad CI, and once all of the students of the bad CI are gone, and the word gets around, the landscape for the MA will be much brighter!!

The sooner that student figures that out, the better for their MA journey. Many times, no one tells them that they're doing it all wrong

That's exactly my question, if you are rookie like myself & know nothing about the art, How can you figure out if your technique is wrong & the instructor is ignoring that fact for money or if you are on the right track of MA training ?

The sooner that student figures that out, the better for their MA journey. Many times, no one tells them that they're doing it all wrong

That's exactly my question, if you are rookie like myself & know nothing about the art, How can you figure out if your technique is wrong & the instructor is ignoring that fact for money or if you are on the right track of MA training ?

One way is to contact the Hombu of said governing body. Find out where the closest dojo that's under their umbrella, and visit with that dojo's CI. But first, ask the Hombu to contact that CI for you, in order for you to have a evaluation, to see if you're on track. We do this all of the time!!

If you can, go to the Hombu itself!! Cut the middle man out entirely; right from the horse's mouth!!

Now, if the CI is recognized by the Hombu in a favorable way, then tread softly when you speak to them with your concerns, but still speak to them...keep it short...or you'll be shown the door quickly. If, after speaking with the Hombu, and you're lucky enough to get their attention, they will send a Senior Dan to investigate and to speak with that CI. The Hombu will not want some CI casting any bad light onto the Hombu as well as the brand/style. The Hombu will try to help your CI to see the errors of his way, and help him to reach a solution that will benefit everyone!!

If the Hombu ignores you. Than quit asap!! Go somewhere else!! Your gut feelings...trust them...you believe that you're not receiving the highest quality of instructions...then be proactive and help yourself...you owe that to your MA journey!!

Hang in there!!

Hi All,

I would like to figure out, how would you know if the dojo you are training at is really teaching you the Art of Karate or the art wouldn't matter much as long as they collect money ?!

Don't get me wrong, I know some instructors earn their living from their dojos which is fair enough but I am trying to re-start my training in a new dojo close to my new place & I have 2 free lessons to try it out.

In my old dojo ( where I have trained about only 3 months ) I wasn't sure but all what I could feel is that they don't give you much individual attention, all grades training at the same time doing the same thing, how do you expect a rookie like myself to cope & get the right techniques ?! Is the privates lessons /sessions (it cost fortune !) the only way to do it ?

I really want to be on the right track to start my journey this time !

In some cases this may be difficult. However here are some blatant examples as follows;

1. They tell you that everyone tests every (fill in the blank) months. Do they all pass? If so you have found yourself a McDojo.

2. There are twice the number of belts for adults. This is pure and simple, a way to make extra money. McDojo.

3. They require you to buy video's, books, and attend a set number of seminars or you can't test. Pure McDojo.

4. White belts training with Black belts. No separation in ranks. McDojo.

5. If Kata has been changed to win tournaments. McDojo.

6. If Kata is nothing more than a passing thought and only trained for belts. McDojo.

7. If you see children running around with black belts on. McDojo.

There are many more but you get the point. If the school is more interested in tournaments and how much they can squeeze out of each student, it's a McDojo. Leave and find a traditional school.

The best way to see if an instructor is serious about his students and about the art is to take the class and watch how they interact with them and what they say and do. You'll get a pretty good feel for it pretty quickly.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll