• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Double Grading.

Hello everyone,I am kinda new here and don't know a lot about this forum.My question is that I am a white belt,I have started karate a month ago,and I'm doing pretty well.I know the blocks,punches,kicks and also Kata.And I also know the yellow belt Kata as well and I wanted to double grade.I have my grading test in a month and I want to double grade.So how do we double grade,I mean how good are we suppose to be in order to double grade,and do we only need to do the yellow belt Kata or the yellow belt kicks blocks etc? Thank you. :) [/b]

Karate is love,karate is life.... c:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum, Hameed.

Your questions all depend on your instructor. He/she is the one who tests you and knows your ability level.

It's not that uncommon to double promote the first time in some styles/schools. My CI often skips the second belt and double promotes adult students. Our curriculum goes from white belt to advanced white to blue. The white and advanced white belt curriculums don't have much difference between them, with advanced white having 1 more kata* and one or two other standardized things. Rather than test them for advanced white then test them again 2 months later, he usually waits and just tests them for blue belt when the student is ready.

*The white belt is taikyoku 1 and advanced white is taikyoku 2. The only difference between them is taikyoku 1 has all middle punches and taikyoku 2 has all high punches; same blocks, steps, etc.

At the lowest kyu levels there's not much material to learn, and it's about getting used to moving in stances, and basic blocks, punches and kicks. Some students pick up on these very quickly while others don't. Just as it's wrong to promote someone who's not yet ready, it's also wrong to hold someone back who's grasped the concepts and has demonstrated that they're ready to move forward.

Long story short, your teacher determines your promotion and how and why it's earned. We'll all be guessing at the how and why.

Welcome to the forum, Hameed.

Your questions all depend on your instructor. He/she is the one who tests you and knows your ability level.

It's not that uncommon to double promote the first time in some styles/schools. My CI often skips the second belt and double promotes adult students. Our curriculum goes from white belt to advanced white to blue. The white and advanced white belt curriculums don't have much difference between them, with advanced white having 1 more kata* and one or two other standardized things. Rather than test them for advanced white then test them again 2 months later, he usually waits and just tests them for blue belt when the student is ready.

*The white belt is taikyoku 1 and advanced white is taikyoku 2. The only difference between them is taikyoku 1 has all middle punches and taikyoku 2 has all high punches; same blocks, steps, etc.

At the lowest kyu levels there's not much material to learn, and it's about getting used to moving in stances, and basic blocks, punches and kicks. Some students pick up on these very quickly while others don't. Just as it's wrong to promote someone who's not yet ready, it's also wrong to hold someone back who's grasped the concepts and has demonstrated that they're ready to move forward.

Long story short, your teacher determines your promotion and how and why it's earned. We'll all be guessing at the how and why.

Welcome to KF, Hameed; glad that you're here!!

I wholeheartedly concur with JR 137, especially what's written in the bold type above. Don't worry about rank, ever! Train; that's your responsibility to do so!! Everything else comes out in the wash in time!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Welcome to the forum Hameed!

I agree with what Sensei8 & JR137 have said, as you should just focus on what you're learning and not what worry about double grading.

At the end of the day it will be up to your sensei to decide whether you are deserving to be double graded to the following rank above Yellow Belt.

IMHO it isn't common for white belts to be double graded from the very beginning due to the persons relative inexperience. You will be graded to what your sensei thinks that you are at in relation to your skill level and abilities, if they think your at that level you'll get that double grade.

In addition, no student should ever ask your CI if you can double grade because one, that's, to be honest, none of the students business, and two, that's rude and assumptive of a student to do so.

The line, should never be crossed, and in that, the line isn't as faded as a student might like to think it is...that line is quite defined and understood.

Imho!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yep, same thoughts I was having. Just grade, and don't worry about it. If the instructor deems that you are worthy of double grading, then they will decide that. Otherwise, just enjoy your training.

In addition, no student should ever ask your CI if you can double grade because one, that's, to be honest, none of the students business, and two, that's rude and assumptive of a student to do so.

The line, should never be crossed, and in that, the line isn't as faded as a student might like to think it is...that line is quite defined and understood.

Imho!

Solid Post!

When I see students get double graded I think that they must have deserved it and been very talented.

Imho!

Solid Post!

When I see students get double graded I think that they must have deserved it and been very talented.

I see this usually as pertaining to a student with some prior experience, as well.