• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Additional Goju-Ryu (Including Goju-Kai) Kata

Nidan Melbourne

I am curious about what the additional kata taught either by Miyagi Sensei or his most senior students (Yamaguchi Sensei, Miyazato Sensei etc).

I thought i was on top of any extra kata that were taught but may not be part of their "official" curriculum. UNTIL my Sensei mentioned a kata last night that i hadn't heard of before nor seen; named Genkaku (not Gankaku).

is a visual representation of the kata. As you can see it doesn't look like anything like Gankaku (Shotokan).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd love to see the Bunkai of this Kata, and executed by the Karateka in that video. Interesting, to say the least!!

Thank you for sharing that, Liam!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nidan Melbourne,

I do not practice this kata, however I have come across it in my research of Hakutsuru (White Crane) in the past. As I recall Genkaku is one of many White Crane Quan passed down by Go Genki to Miyagi and others during Quan Fa training sessions.

Go Genki was one of the later pioneers that brought Southern White Crane to Okinawa and primarily to Naha-Te. Some of these Quan/Kata can also be found and practiced in Shuri-Te schools/arts, although passed down by different teachers like Iwah, Ason, Annan, Wanshu, etc.

I called my old Goju Sensei and he said that he has heard of the Kata being taught, although he has never seen it. He said that if taught, it is primarily taught to senior instructors.

I have no idea if this is true or even makes sense to you but I thought I would pass his thought along in hopes that it would help.

Good luck.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Nidan Melbourne,

I do not practice this kata, however I have come across it in my research of Hakutsuru (White Crane) in the past. As I recall Genkaku is one of many White Crane Quan passed down by Go Genki to Miyagi and others during Quan Fa training sessions.

Go Genki was one of the later pioneers that brought Southern White Crane to Okinawa and primarily to Naha-Te. Some of these Quan/Kata can also be found and practiced in Shuri-Te schools/arts, although passed down by different teachers like Iwah, Ason, Annan, Wanshu, etc.

I called my old Goju Sensei and he said that he has heard of the Kata being taught, although he has never seen it. He said that if taught, it is primarily taught to senior instructors.

I have no idea if this is true or even makes sense to you but I thought I would pass his thought along in hopes that it would help.

Good luck.

Thanks for contacting your old sensei MatsuShinshii. It does help thank you very much, other pieces of information i heard was that Yamaguchi Sensei created the kata but may be a stretch of the truth???

Nidan Melbourne,

Good luck.

Thanks for contacting your old sensei MatsuShinshii. It does help thank you very much, other pieces of information i heard was that Yamaguchi Sensei created the kata but may be a stretch of the truth???

Well I can not swear to it but I have came across this Kata while researching Hakutsuru history. However my mind/memory is not what it used to be so it is possible I have gotten this mixed up with another Kata.

If this is the case, I hope it did not take you too far off your search for history of the Kata.

My mind is definitely not what it used to be but I could swear that this was a southern white crane inspired Kata but I could have fudged up the creator/contributor.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll