Wastelander

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@bushido_man96 - If you're ever in the Phoenix area, definitely let me know! I'll do likewise if I find myself in your neck of the woods :)

@Bulltahr - Yes, that is one form of a te-makiwara. I generally use my wallet as one, for small-surface strikes, but recently started working on a wooden one, as well.

@amolao - Makiwara aren't very popular in most modern dojo, and even the ones that do have them often only use them for conditioning, which isn't the intended purpose. Kobudo has a similar problem, but since I'm not much of a kobudo guy, myself, I suppose I'm not really helping that too much. My instructor does teach kobudo in our dojo, though, and I do practice a little.

@JackD - I'm glad you found it valuable! I definitely think a makiwara is a vital training implement for every karateka.

@Alan Armstrong - We don't teach "ikken hissatsu" as the "result" of training, so much as it is the "hope" of training. If you can hit someone hard enough to stop them in one shot, that is great. If not, though, you have to be able to adapt and overcome, which is more emphasized in our training than the "one hit, one kill" philosophy. As far as the women and girls in our dojo, most do not work with it, but most students of both genders don't work with it. We show them how, but don't force the issue. Most karateka, if we are honest with ourselves, train for other reasons than self defense and fighting, and they don't necessarily need makiwara training. It would be nice, and we do make sure they work with it from time to time, but it isn't a requirement.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

How do the females in your Dojos feel about training on a makiwara board?

We don't force makiwara training on any of our students; it's their choice. We recognize that many students don't want to subject themselves to that type of trauma. Sure, makiwara training is encouraged to par take of that part of Hojo Undo, but we can't make it mandatory.

Do they believe in the one hit kill methodology?

Yes, we do most assuredly believe in Ikken Hissatsu, whereas, we strive in our training to have that terrible resolve, but to control it until the time is necessary.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I was demonstrating makiwara to a 16 yr old girl and showed her my hands.

In horror she exclaimed "OMG I'm not doing that to my hands!" I had a good chuckle over that one....

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

I noticed Korean dojang do not use makiwara having been a Shotokan practitioner we were trained with the one punch, one kill philosophy also Kobudo training is disappearing from a lot of dojos. :-?

Korean dojangs do though it isn't as common. Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do and Hapkido all typically have a tameshiwari component to their training. With that goes hand in hand some sort of body hardening practices including the makiwara.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I was demonstrating makiwara to a 16 yr old girl and showed her my hands.

In horror she exclaimed "OMG I'm not doing that to my hands!" I had a good chuckle over that one....

In all fairness I totally understand this. I specifically don't condition my fist because I don't want callouses either as a female. I've strong enough wrists I can break a couple of pieces of wood but beyond that I choose to focus more on knife hand and ridge hand because I don't want to have hands that look like that :roll:

I know a surgeon who trains who also won't condition his hands too much because any injury would put him out of work.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius