• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Renewing myself...or at least trying to!!

sensei8

1 hour is a big win. Pretty soon your going to be doing a marathon.

LOL!! That, a marathon, would be fun; sign me up!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, everyone, for your support!!

Still at the gym, 6 days per week, doing the same routine daily. However, results varied from day to day depending on one factor or another.

This week:

LAST DAY OF THIS WEEK: Saturday...March 18, 2017

StairMaster

1hr 15 min

234 floors

940 calorie burn

Avg HR 117

Levels 7-10 with a 2 minute cool down every 20 minutes

*note: I'll burn 1,000 calorie's next week, each day of the week*

Treadmill

32 minutes

235 calorie burn

Avg HR 103

Inclines from 1-15; at machines discretion per the Forest Walk program

Rowing Machine

23 minutes

250 calorie burn

Battle Ropes/Pull Down Ropes

14 different exercises [battle Ropes], 3 sets

2 different exercises [Pull Down Ropes], 3 sets

?? Calorie Burn

Free Weights

45 minutes to 1 hour depending on what parts of the body I'm targeting. Each exercise will be 3 sets, with nominal weight; reps over weight.

Swimming

Each Saturday I'll do 12 laps; each length is 30 yards

I'll do different swimming techniques from free style to back stroke and in between. The key, for me, is to pace myself while NOT stopping until I complete those 12 laps.

Btw, my MA training hasn't been ignored. That's the furthest thing from being the truth. The MA is my life, and it's all that I'm good at. I can no longer train in the MA, than I can hold my breath forever.

Will weigh myself on March 25, 2017.

Still at the gym, 6 days per week, doing the same routine daily. However, results varied from day to day depending on one factor or another.

This week:

StairMaster

1hr 15 min

234 floors

940 calorie burn

Avg HR 117

Treadmill

32 minutes

235 calorie burn

Avg HR 103

Rowing Machine

23 minutes

250 calorie burn

?? Calorie Burn

Free Weights

45 minutes to 1 hour depending on what parts of the body I'm targeting. Each exercise will be 3 sets, with nominal weight; reps over weight.

Swimming

I'll do different swimming techniques from free style to back stroke and in between. The key, for me, is to pace myself while NOT stopping until I complete those 12 laps.

Btw, my MA training hasn't been ignored. That's the furthest thing from being the truth. The MA is my life, and it's all that I'm good at. I can no longer train in the MA, than I can hold my breath forever.

You're a beast!

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Incredible work rate Bob. That kind of workout would kill me off! Bet your can really see the difference.

Aside from what you're doing in the gym, have you made other changes to diet and lifestyle?

Is there anything you'd wished you'd known back in November when you began working out?

Edit: typos due to autocorrect!

Edited by DWx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

This week:

StairMaster

1hr 15 min

234 floors

940 calorie burn

Avg HR 117

Treadmill

32 minutes

235 calorie burn

Avg HR 103

Rowing Machine

23 minutes

250 calorie burn

?? Calorie Burn

Free Weights

Swimming

You're a beast!

LOL!! I'm the furthest thing from being a beast, but I do thank you for your continued support.

What I've been able to accomplish ever since October 4, 2016 even boggles my mind, because, I had once essentially given up that fortitude, and I paid the price for adopting a negative attitude across the board, for no good reason.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet, expecting different results. My Dai-Soke was quite verbal in his disapproval of my physical appearance, where at one time, I weighed 350lbs. All of my exhibiting, was for not, and was a poor demonstration of being that Shindokan representative, over all.

What was, isn't now!!

Incredible work rate Bob. That kind of workout would look me off! Bet your can really see the difference.

Aside from what you're doing in the gym, have you made other changes to diet and lifestyle?

Is there anything you'd wished you'd known back in November when you began working out?

Thank you, Danielle, for your kind words, as well as your continued support.

Boy oh boy, can I really see the difference. Pants I've worn before, are much to big for me nowadays. People have noticed that my face is thinner...I'm overall, thinner than I was before October 4, 2016. I feel great!!

Outside of the gym, my diet did a full 180 degrees from where I was beforehand. I watch carefully everything that I eat, no matter what. Whereas before, I'd watch everything I ate...as I shoveled it down my throat with great abandonment. My portions are carefully, and strictly enforced. No longer do I pile one pile upon another, as if I'm at an eating contest. I love food, in short, I use to consider myself a devote connoisseur, however, I don't love it as I use to, in which, I once was kicked out of a all-you-can-eat establishment because I was eating all I could; eating was a habit.

Controlling snacks was a big issue for me. I'd consume snacks as though they were the major food groups, and that the major food groups, were the snacks. Nowadays, and that day began immediate with me in October 2016, I snack much more sensible!! For example, I snack in small proportions, and even more importantly, I'd snack much more fruits and nuts. Any protein must be grilled or baked; NOTHING FRIED!! Chicken is not only baked or grilled, but the skin is removed; we buy the skinless chicken as much as we can, and whenever we do have chicken with the skin, we remove the skin before it's baked or grilled!!

Many foods/snacks that I was raised on and that I craved for even since childhood, I've gone cold turkey on them because my life depends on it; I don't miss ANY OF WHAT I USE TO EAT!! I've NO SALT!! NO SUGAR!! I've not had any fast food since October 2016. I've not had any ice cream since October 2016. I love salads, but not just any salad; size is proportions, and I will not ever violate my given proportions in any food group. What's in a salad is equally important to me. Healthy means just that, to me!! Whenever I go to a movie, I buy bottled water, and no soda!! I drink water with lemon slices!! I do not consume popcorn of any type!!

How the food is prepared is everything to me. Can't cheat...don't want to cheat. Why? So, I can go back to what I was before. No way...not me. Olive Oil is the only oil I use, and it's used quite sparingly. Butter is no longer a regular staple on the table. Breads, are whole grain only. I slice; then I cut it in half for any light sandwich, no matter the type. NO MAYO...Olive Oil dressing instead.

Any guide I follow is my diet bible, and I will not violate it whatsoever. My diet plans have been authorized by my PCP, Cardiologist, and a Nutritionist!! Change means change, but it must be a healthy change across the board!!

In time, I gained more weight, and did very little to curb my appetite. While I was extremely busy on the floor, I ate more than I burned!! Bad habits took over good healthy habits, of my own choosing.

Now, since October 2016, I've taken more accountability for my diet, however, not in a lackadaisical fashion, but with more of a deeply seeded resolve, than ever. With a change in diet, in the manner of which I'm attacking it, lifestyle changes have to be made to, and they've been made, and will continue to be made, for I've not made those positive changes for just grins and giggles, but forever, and those changes are evident, especially with my wife. I no longer live that sedentary lifestyle. For an example, my wife and I walk 3 miles a day, after dinner. I'm no longer that couch potato GM, no way...no how!! Beforehand, it would take an act of God to get me out of my recliner. That act of God came in October 2016; I thank Him daily!! I look forward in going to the gym 6 days a week, walking, and whatever else will get me off the couch/recliner daily. When not at the gym on Sunday, my wife and I GET OUT OF THE HOUSE to do something positive and healthy.

I began working out in October, and not in November, even though the gym was closed for remodeling, and I could've used that as an excuse, but I refused to make any excuses. Not with my life in jeopardy!!

I wished that I would've known back then, what I've learned up to now, as well as I've rekindled the knowledge that I acquired during my 5 decades of MA training. But, being honest with you and myself, I wish I had known how to better take care of myself; I was that basket case, across the board, of how to not take care of oneself...or the desire to do so. Excuses are a dime a dozen, and I was rich in excuses. So, no, had a taken much more accountability of and for myself, I'd not be in my current shape. Even though my current shape is far much better than it was in October 2016.

Shugyo means to me...SUCK IT UP...take it...and I've applied shugyo in the manner of which I've chosen to when it comes to my diet and changing my lifestyle for a much more improved quality of life!!

I have to say, Bob, I love reading your updates on this thread. Not just because you're doing so fantastically well but, because of your attitude towards it. You've flung yourself into it with everything you have and I think that's great. Keep it up, we're with you all the way!

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Thank you Mo; your words mean everything!! Before I can even realize, I'll have reached my goal way before the October 4, 2017 timeline. When I attack something, I don't come at it halfheartedly; it's all or nothing.

The support here from my friends, pushes me to the end zone!!

Thank you Mo, and everyone else!!

:wave: