• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Applications for Tachimura no Kusanku

Wastelander

Hello, everyone!

In addition to Shorin-Ryu, I'm a practitioner of a small, rare system of old-style Shuri-te called KishimotoDi on Okinawa, or Kishimoto-Ha karate, on mainland Japan. The style consists of just four kata; Naihanchi, Nidanbu, Passai, and Kusanku. As it stands, I know the KishimotoDi version of Naihanchi, and Nidanbu (which is unique to KishimotoDi). My KishimotoDi teacher, Ulf Karlsson, plans to teach me their version of Kusanku in March. He has been on a bit of a Kusanku kick, lately, and just put together this video showcasing some applications for Tachimura no Kusanku (also known as Takemura no Kusanku on mainland Japan).

I do not have any public videos of Tachimura no Kusanku, performed in the original KishimotoDi fashion. The closest that can be found is the Kusanku of Gensei-Ryu, which shares lineage with KishimotoDi, but has been heavily "Japanified," for lack of a better term. You can see the Gensei-Ryu version of Kusanku, here:

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone!

your video clip was nicely done. could you post a clip of your Passai kata?

The clip isn't mine, actually--it's my KishimotoDi teacher's. I have only learned the first two kata of the KishimotoDi system (Naihanchi and Nidanbu), and will be learning Kusanku in March. The KishimotoDi versions of Passai and Kusanku are not supposed to be made publicly available, so I don't have those for reference material. That said, as I mentioned in the original post, Gensei-Ryu does share lineage with KishimotoDi, and videos are available from them. This is the Gensei-Ryu version of Tachimura no Passai, which has been heavily "Japanified," as well:

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Thank you, everyone!
your video clip was nicely done. could you post a clip of your Passai kata?

The clip isn't mine, actually--it's my KishimotoDi teacher's. I have only learned the first two kata of the KishimotoDi system (Naihanchi and Nidanbu), and will be learning Kusanku in March. The KishimotoDi versions of Passai and Kusanku are not supposed to be made publicly available, so I don't have those for reference material. That said, as I mentioned in the original post, Gensei-Ryu does share lineage with KishimotoDi, and videos are available from them. This is the Gensei-Ryu version of Tachimura no Passai, which has been heavily "Japanified," as well:

To the bold type above...

But why has that been deemed as so??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The KishimotoDi versions of Passai and Kusanku are not supposed to be made publicly available

To the bold type above...

But why has that been deemed as so??

In all honesty, I'm not entirely certain. The style is very old, and very small, so it may simply be leftover fears of people claiming to have trained in it when they haven't, if they learn the kata from videos. The head of the system said so, though, so it is what it is.