• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going back to basics

Kyonovice

Tonight in the dojo I was picked up by my Sensei whilst doing Taikyoku Ichi kata on my front stance. Bearing in mind I've been doing this kata on and off (in Shotokan) for 20 odd years, I was a bit surprised to have my front stance corrected.

Sensei picked up on an arch in my back where I am leaning backwards thinking I am keeping my back straight, I have been over correcting this for 20 years and only now, I have been corrected on this. Have to say, it felt weird when I was first put right, felt like I was leaning forwards, where actually all I was doing was standing dead straight...

Now I need to figure out a way to land like this every time I step into front stance...not easy, any tips until my muscle memory adjusts accordingly???

Who ever said you really start to learn when you get your Shodan was right!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I see that all the time in styles that do long, deep front stance. If you want to get really confused, start training in our style, where we DO lean just slightly forward :P

I'm afraid I can't really provide much more guidance than having someone check you periodically, or check yourself in a mirror, and get used to the feeling of when it's right so you can self-correct

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

It is always weird to get something picked up; even if you have done it for a long time. It happens to me all the time when i get something mentioned to me and i go "that feels so weird!"

Practice it Correctly over and over again; usually around 100 correct repetitions IN A ROW will normally do the job; but depends on the person. But if you make a mistake you have to restart at 1

I've known my stances haven't been 100% for sometime, too tight in the shoulders which is why I get so knackered all the time when training (and sweat far too much!), however, all I ever got told was to "relax more". Turns out, the issue has been the over arching of my back all along...

Next training session on Friday, shall see if I can get the feel of it then, might do some kihon in my living room in between, got my son to train now (he started last night, he LOVED IT)

Changing a 20 year muscle memory is doable, but it won't be an easy fix. The problem to overcome will be the nagging desire to do it as you've been doing it for so long.

How something might "feel" can only be corrected to how it's "suppose" to feel with, as others here have already mentioned, the aide of mirrors and/or by your Sensei, however, this will take time to retrain your muscle memory to where it needs to be.

Better late than never!! Imagine how you'd be if this had never been noticed...ever!?!?!?!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I find you often end up doing stuff like this (like leaning forward) when you've spent a lot of time trying to develop something else e.g. you've been concentrating on hip movement or stance transition or whatever. You don't notice you're doing it and it takes sometime else to point it out to you. Even better if it's someone who doesn't see you regularly as they will notice the little odd things better rather than writing it off as a little quirk.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Changing a 20 year muscle memory is doable, but it won't be an easy fix. The problem to overcome will be the nagging desire to do it as you've been doing it for so long.

How something might "feel" can only be corrected to how it's "suppose" to feel with, as others here have already mentioned, the aide of mirrors and/or by your Sensei, however, this will take time to retrain your muscle memory to where it needs to be.

Better late than never!! Imagine how you'd be if this had never been noticed...ever!?!?!?!

:)

I'm 2.5 years into adjusting my retracting hand, in TKD it just needed to be between the armpit and belt, but in Kyokushin it needs to always be closer to solar plexus level. When I pay attention to it I can keep it at the correct level, but if I'm concentrating on something else it wanders down...

This is interesting, because your body had developed the kinesthetic awareness to the point that what you've been told is wrong, your body thinks is right. Now, you have to make yourself do what the body will feel is wrong, but you believe to be right, and your body will have to adapt to this.

Ossu

Now, tonight, my stance is looking better already (after only 2/3 sessions), but my hikite is incorrect for my style...in Shotokan, we were lazy (hikite on the belt), in Kyokushin, the hikite is much much higher, almost parallel with pectoral muscles...more work needed.

Still, I supported in the junior class tonight as the club has grown and Shihan now needs another adult in the dojo who is DBS (Disclosure Barring Service - criminal records check) cleared, as I am for work, I supported which was good, and now I know I need to spend some time on the makiwara practising the hikite transition.

I also went through the requirement for 1st grading and know I can do that by and large so I think with some more practice I can grade soon!!!

Oh, and my 5 year old son has now had 3 sessions, first thing he says when he gets out of school on Mondays and Fridays is "Am I going to karate tonight...please let me go!!!"

This to me is fantastic that he is loving it so much, and according to Shihan, he has the coolest dojo entry (and doesn't need reminding to rey etc at entry/exit unlike others who have trained longer!)

• 2 weeks later...
Ossu

Now, tonight, my stance is looking better already (after only 2/3 sessions), but my hikite is incorrect for my style...in Shotokan, we were lazy (hikite on the belt), in Kyokushin, the hikite is much much higher, almost parallel with pectoral muscles...more work needed.

In Kyokushin the hikite should cover the lower ribs. It's a guard to protect against a counter strike in a forward stance.

In a back stance with knife hands, it covers the solar plexus to guard against counter strikes.

Hope this helps.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."