• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The original MMA

MatsuShinshii

MatsuShinshii, I think there are a few reasons to look at the Karate glass as being half full, or at least taking that glass along with some lemons and making simply yourself some lemonade.

We have some real good practitioners out there that are getting really good coverage now with all the new media available. We need to take that seed and grow it. What we can't allow is having bad actors poison what the others are trying to grow.

WildBourgMan

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can imagine why students like myself would leave a karate dojo and look for other martial arts (whether it's MMA or any other art).

I have spent 6 months training in a Karate dojo and then left, at the beginning I was really enjoying it and very happy with the fitness outcome of my training but never heard anyone in the class speaking about the art of karate or the philosophy of the art which I guess would have given the training more depth.

One of my goals was self deafens but really I have never been taught how to use the karate skills in a real life situations. i have practised self deafens techniques for only 10 minutes in 6 months time.

sometimes the instructors are to be blamed if they take it as a business not art !

I guess it's hard to find real martial art school now !

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

MMA is a brutality sport that justifies brutality and Karate is way to combat brutality with self defence, courtesy and discipline.

I don't know Alan, I think sometimes we need to put it in Historical perspective. Why is MMA the sport any different than sparring? I watched UFC last night and there was plenty of good sportsmanship, before and after the fights no one left angry. Their was brutality but their was also a chess match that took place in many of the competitions.

It seems Motobu Chōki and Mas Oyama just to name two were not always so spiritual or mystical about martial arts as to not see if their skills were practical in the real world. If heard many anecdotal stories of todays Okinawan masters that some people here might actually know accepting set up fights just to see who was the best.

I say to each their own.

WildBourgMan

MMA is a brutality sport that justifies brutality and Karate is way to combat brutality with self defence, courtesy and discipline.

I don't know Alan, I think sometimes we need to put it in Historical perspective. Why is MMA the sport any different than sparring? I watched UFC last night and there was plenty of good sportsmanship, before and after the fights no one left angry. Their was brutality but their was also a chess match that took place in many of the competitions.

It seems Motobu Chōki and Mas Oyama just to name two were not always so spiritual or mystical about martial arts as to not see if their skills were practical in the real world. If heard many anecdotal stories of todays Okinawan masters that some people here might actually know accepting set up fights just to see who was the best.

I say to each their own.

MMA brutality for entertainment with sportsmanship and endorsement, not sounding much like any type of art, just a refined way of selling and making money from savagery to satisfy the blood lust of the masses.

MMAist will be this generation's punch drunks, taking over from the boxers of the past.

Bobby Fisher has plenty of sportsmanship and strategy, never known anyone becoming punch drunk from thinking too hard.

Many martial artist sacrifice their health for fame, money and glory with MMA. While most others that practice martial arts (raising a family) are trying to protect their health and longevity.

Not surprising that masters would want to battle it out with each other, it has always been this way with nations and individuals alike.

The best of the best is inevitable no matter what type of battle field it is played out on; MMA is no different, MA warriors usually die from their wounds days after the battle, giving them plenty of time to reflect.

To Safroot: If self defense is your weakest martial art link then make it stronger by specializing in it.

Keep with the karate and investigate how other MA styles deal with self-defence.

YouTube is full helpfull tips and advice for martial artists.

Emin Boztepe is known in the Wing Chun community as being very self-defence orientated.

There are plenty of helpful videos of him on YouTube.

Good luck and keep the faith!

The way I see it is that there are some people who are more than happy to only test themselves against themselves, and delve into those "spiritual" aspects of the Martial Arts.

There are also those who are more than willing to embrace a challenge against another in a contest. Not everyone is geared like this. This is what professional sports is about, and MMA is the new "professional" aspect of Martial Arts competition. It will attract those who desire to compete, and those who are naturally gifted and physically talented into the upper echelons, the UFC levels.