• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu: Good Entry Style?

pdbnb

Hey guys,

So I'm moving to a new area and very close by there is a karate club (and NO TKD clubs, sadly.) So I thought I might give it a try.

I trained for a few months in TKD (reaching only the second-from-bottom belt) but in my youth I reached blue belt in Shorinji Kempo (borderline brown, was considered to need more work before grading, but eventually gave up.) Bear in mind, 'my youth' means 'from age 10 to 14' (am now 31.)

With that in mind, will Goju-Ryu be a good style for me as a complete karate n00b?

I know it's a highly subjective question, but any pointers would be appreciated :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hammer is absolutely right. Goju Ryu could be a great entry style, but it could also be no better than any other you might encounter. The best advice is to shop around and visit schools. Most dojos will let you sit in a watch, or even participate, for free to see how they operate. Find a place you like and stick to it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Depends on what you mean by "entry"; most martial arts school have some structure to their teaching, designed to build one up from step one.

Now, to be fair; some schools and systems would be unsuitable for someone who has undergone a long period of sedentary living, or is recovering from a significant injury leaving them with chronic problems, and other examples where a person is not at the average level of fitness. For example boxing, kick-boxing, Judo, and wrestling can be quite rough no matter how well structured the training is just because of the focus of said arts and sports. Other schools can be quite gentle to enter into, and suit most people no matter their level of fitness.

Goju-Ryu can be either kind of school depending on the school. Some place great emphasis on physical conditioning and a degree of hard sparring, while others are a little more laid back and more egalitarian. So my advice would be to go see the school, and judge for yourself whether it is the right kind of intensity for you to get back into it.

R. Keith Williams

Yet another go see the school line of advice.

I always say choose a school, not an art. Some schools are filled with kids who think they're Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles, others are filled with adults who train hard, and everything in between. Some teachers are great, others aren't. Some teachers are great, but if you're learning style doesn't mesh with their's, the results won't be great.

Google search MA in your area, eliminate what you can't afford and what doesn't coincide with your schedule, then visit the rest. Who's teaching and who you're training with are far more important than "which style is better."

I'd say go check out the local schools and look at how the classes operate and how the Instructors interact with the students.

Any style of Karate is a good entry level Style to be honest. Every single one has its benefits and limitations.

Personally I have a preference for Goju-Ryu because 1) I have always trained in it and 2) it suits my personality extremely well.

Thanks, guys!

I've had this problem with TKD, my first school was so good that neither of the ones I went to after it pleased me by comparison.

That happens sometimes. It's important, I think, to just keep trying out different schools. Give them a couple of visits even. You never know if you came on a bad day.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

If a person is completely new to karate or martial arts in general, the style is irrelevant. What matters is what exactly that person wishes to achieve through training and wether or not the instructor is competent.

Forget the specific martial art and focus on the intructor(s). Then answer these questions:

Does the instructor teach in a way you would enjoy?

Does the instructor have a likable personality?

Does the dojo/school have a good atmosphere?

If you can answer yes to these, then regardless of style go for it and enjoy training.

I've had this problem with TKD, my first school was so good that neither of the ones I went to after it pleased me by comparison.

This is evidence of what everyone is saying about a good instructor or school being more important than the style.

I'm not sure what a "good entry style" would be, but goju ryu is a good style. It has a strong Okinawan influence, like your shorinji kempo probably did. Goju blends both hard and soft elements. It has much less kicking than TKD. Depending on the dojo, it'll probably focus less on sparring and more on basics than you're used to. I'd definitely recommend it to a noob.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com