• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For women and MATURE, health knowledgable people....

Ok.... I'm a woman, mature and I have 30 years experience with this "type" of occurence! sooo...

all I can say is that youre having an irregular period can also be the result of a hormonal imbalance quite common in the teenage years. The best way that you can find this out is to be evaluated by your doctor. If you continue to have irregular periods for longer than three months, you should probably make an appointment with your gynecologist. You may have one of two types of hormonal problems. The first type happens when you have too much of a certain kind of male hormone. This hormone usually comes from the ovary and occasionally comes from the adrenal gland, which sits in the kidney. Since men do not menstruate (wouldn't it be sweet justice if they did? :D ), too much of this hormone will obviously cause your periods to become irregular or even stop. The second type of hormonal problem occurs when your body literally gets its signals crossed in coordinating the menstrual cycle.

The hypothalamus, is an area of the brain that regulates your menstrual cycles with regular pulses of hormones... and there are many factors that can interfere with your cycle. Stress, excessive exercise, diet, narcotics and weight loss can all contribute to this decrease in hormonal activity. While reducing stress, eating right and maintaining a normal body weight can restore normal menstrual cycles in females, some may need medication (hormones) replacement

As chh suggested anemia can cause amenorrhoea (technical term for absense of periods)

Similarly, emotional upsets or depression can upset hormonal imbalance and cause amenorrhoea. The regularity of periods can also occur due to strain and stress.

The hormonal balance can be thrown off too by if a rigorous training or exercise or quick weight loss.

But as a rule of thumb...A doctor should be consulted if the periods get delayed by more than 15 days. If you notice any discomfort or pain in breasts, increased frequency of urination, unusual tiredness and nausea and/or vomiting, .... well then you know what's up!

Check back ... and good luck...

Blue: Kickchick your supposed to know everthing !!

Kickchick: I am ??

Blue: I rest my case. :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a female, but I don't have that problem (I wish). My cycle is right on time, exactly 30 days apart (runs in the family). I know if I don't get mine, something IS wrong. But, I get cramps from ...... :kaioken: I know that can't be normal, either. Of course, I don't eat like I should, either (lots of fatty stuff). Kickchick tried to help me eat right before by givin me advice, but ..... I may need your help again, Kickchick :)

Laurie F

In doing a little research I looked into some AFPA (American Fitness Professionals & Associates) info and found a very good article which I located online

"ATHLETIC AMMENORHEA: WOMEN AT RISK" http://www.afpafitness.com/ammenor.htm

High intensity training does disrupt the cycle.

According to this article the measure of body fat and diet (a high protein, low-carbohydrate diet) can also lead to irregular cycles.

I never knew there was so much to know about a period...

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Well, by the sound of it I should go see a doctor. I had my first period oct.2000, haven't had one since, I am 16. I don't think that is right...

It is NOT right :) Now you are happy to not have this, but in a few years you'll wait for this particular moment and will be happy when it comes :D :D :D