• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For women and MATURE, health knowledgable people....

I am 15, and I haven't had one of "those times of the month" since August. :( It was then that I stopped eating fast food, cookies, and sweets and started adding more fruits and vegetables and lean meats into my diet. I stopped eating fried foods and white bread, opting for steamed and grilled food and whole wheat bread. No more bagels and donuts, you know, just some things I felt necessary. Could this be the cause of my little problem? Although it feels like a blessing, I know how bad missing periods can be for your health.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it may be the change in diet, almost every woman of your age gets irregular periods, some girls I know going up to 3 or 4 months before getting one. It is also a normal occurance for teenage girls to get a period every 2 weeks for a while - this is normal, don't sweat it.

Thats as far as my limited knowledge goes, though. Perhaps some other members can give more valueble insight. :)

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Yeah that is normal.

But what I'm worried about is this... *embarrased*... Is it normal for your period to last longer then usual? I learned it should only last about 5-7 days, but mine lasts about two weeks!! :(

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Hi three360,

I cant speak knowledgeably about missing your period, although i would agree that infrequency at your age would be common. I have a 13 year old daughter. I have to commend you on your efforts to eat well, but i would think that perhaps that could be part of the problem. Kids ( no offense ) while they shouldn't obviously be gobbling down the junk constantly, as so many do, and trust me, a lot of adults could take advice from you, need fats and sugars and such as part of a balanced diet.

Have you seen a GYN yet ? Or have you discussed with your mom yet ?

Regards

As Blue observed ... go see a doctor. i don't think it's such a big problem (hope :)), but you could get more answers. Talking to your mother is also essential.

This time ... without ... seems great. In a few years the problem would normally disappear and these "holidays" would remain sweet memories. The changing in your eating habits is also a good choise.

Good luck and enjoy evry moment in your life :)

I agree that it's probably nothing, but it wouldn't hurt to get checked out by a doc anyway. Particularly considering the diet you described I'd ask for a complete blood workup, make sure your not anemic, that can certainly affect your period. It's always a good idea to have those numbers for a baseline anyway.

If you've picked up on your training at all that can contribute as well, can't remember but I thought you started formally teaching classes recently, maybe going in more often? When I started training I went 3 months with no period then got two FULL periods per month for two months in a row. Any change in diet & exercise can definitely affect your cycle.

Ok.... I'm a woman, mature and I have 30 years experience with this "type" of occurence! sooo...

all I can say is that youre having an irregular period can also be the result of a hormonal imbalance quite common in the teenage years. The best way that you can find this out is to be evaluated by your doctor. If you continue to have irregular periods for longer than three months, you should probably make an appointment with your gynecologist. You may have one of two types of hormonal problems. The first type happens when you have too much of a certain kind of male hormone. This hormone usually comes from the ovary and occasionally comes from the adrenal gland, which sits in the kidney. Since men do not menstruate (wouldn't it be sweet justice if they did? :D ), too much of this hormone will obviously cause your periods to become irregular or even stop. The second type of hormonal problem occurs when your body literally gets its signals crossed in coordinating the menstrual cycle.

The hypothalamus, is an area of the brain that regulates your menstrual cycles with regular pulses of hormones... and there are many factors that can interfere with your cycle. Stress, excessive exercise, diet, narcotics and weight loss can all contribute to this decrease in hormonal activity. While reducing stress, eating right and maintaining a normal body weight can restore normal menstrual cycles in females, some may need medication (hormones) replacement

As chh suggested anemia can cause amenorrhoea (technical term for absense of periods)

Similarly, emotional upsets or depression can upset hormonal imbalance and cause amenorrhoea. The regularity of periods can also occur due to strain and stress.

The hormonal balance can be thrown off too by if a rigorous training or exercise or quick weight loss.

But as a rule of thumb...A doctor should be consulted if the periods get delayed by more than 15 days. If you notice any discomfort or pain in breasts, increased frequency of urination, unusual tiredness and nausea and/or vomiting, .... well then you know what's up!

Check back ... and good luck...

Edited by KickChick

How much fat you've cut out of your diet can have an adverse effect on your body as well. I found that when I tried to really lean up and went super crazy with cardio and cut almost all fat out of my diet(I mean I was boiling chicken breasts here....blech) that my hair got really coarse, and my fingernails became really brittle. I don't have the same problem as you, but I would reccomend seeing a doctor too.