• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Techniques of the Bubishi

Wastelander

Loved your video Noah, these types of videos that show the practical application of techniques are great. I enjoyed th examples you show from other clips also, the UFC stuff and the earlier bits also.

Looking forward to seeing more................

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
This is an awesome video. I like how first you show the real time applications of it before you show us the breakdown. The presentation is fantastic.

I second that.

It's an awesome video. Also it was very interesting to me that I've practiced several of the techniques here (I practice Shaolin Kempo). I guess my art borrowed them from Karate

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, first post here.

Hopefully I won't insult anyone as that isn't my intention. But I have seen this video already on YouTube and it is kind of what led me here (somehow by googling related things and Patrick McCarthy a link to here came up). First off let me say how much I enjoyed the video and the techniques and my respect for Patrick McCarthy and his work. That said, I guess it's one of those "agree to disagree" type of situations for me. I tend to view karate as self defense and as a striking art. The defenses shown in the clip are quite interesting; however, if that type of self defense were my interest I'd enroll in a grappling style school or MMA.

I can see the connection drawn from Bubishi drawings and some of the MMA and other fights depicted but I have to liken that to looking at clouds and seeing a horse or a face. (sorry but I borrowed that analogy from a book I recently read). But to me it makes sense. Seeing it in a kata doesn't mean that's what it is. Come to think of it there are many techniques that appear as if the practitioner is holding a gun!! What does that mean? What it looks like? Hmmm...doubtful. It's interesting, (and I just posted this somewhere else....not on this forum) that I just finished reading a blog post I found interesting that pertained to similar thoughts here https://outercirclekarate.blogspot.com. Actually it was his book where I got that quote. The book wasn't great by any stretch but I had to agree with 90% of it.

Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to stir anyone up as I love digging into kata and defenses, but I kind of hold a different view I guess. And after all how else do we learn? By everyone agreeing? Looking at all sides (imo) is a good thing.

Hi all, first post here.

Hopefully I won't insult anyone as that isn't my intention. But I have seen this video already on YouTube and it is kind of what led me here (somehow by googling related things and Patrick McCarthy a link to here came up). First off let me say how much I enjoyed the video and the techniques and my respect for Patrick McCarthy and his work. That said, I guess it's one of those "agree to disagree" type of situations for me. I tend to view karate as self defense and as a striking art. The defenses shown in the clip are quite interesting; however, if that type of self defense were my interest I'd enroll in a grappling style school or MMA.

I can see the connection drawn from Bubishi drawings and some of the MMA and other fights depicted but I have to liken that to looking at clouds and seeing a horse or a face. (sorry but I borrowed that analogy from a book I recently read). But to me it makes sense. Seeing it in a kata doesn't mean that's what it is. Come to think of it there are many techniques that appear as if the practitioner is holding a gun!! What does that mean? What it looks like? Hmmm...doubtful. It's interesting, (and I just posted this somewhere else....not on this forum) that I just finished reading a blog post I found interesting that pertained to similar thoughts here https://outercirclekarate.blogspot.com. Actually it was his book where I got that quote. The book wasn't great by any stretch but I had to agree with 90% of it.

Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to stir anyone up as I love digging into kata and defenses, but I kind of hold a different view I guess. And after all how else do we learn? By everyone agreeing? Looking at all sides (imo) is a good thing.

I'm certainly not offended, and everyone has their own views on their martial arts.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of techniques in the Bubishi are grappling techniques, or defenses against grappling--not just in appearance, but also in their actual description. This is something that my Sensei and I discussed quite a bit as we were putting this video together. Now, that isn't to suggest that karate is all grappling and no striking. It is definitely a percussive art. That said, developing the ability to strike someone hard enough to do damage doesn't really require kata or technique manuals. It also doesn't really require technique breakdown videos, so while we teach more striking than grappling in our dojo, it can sometimes appear to be the opposite if you just go by our videos. Dealing with grappling situations can be more complex, and require more complex responses, and that's where kata and manuals can be more helpful. We don't just see this in karate, either. Many Chinese martial arts are considered to be "striking arts" and yet are filled with grappling applications. Even Muay Thai, which is currently considered to be one of the best striking arts around, in the sport fighting world, contains a lot of grappling techniques in the clinch, and even more in its older (Muay Boran) iterations. I also practice KishimotoDi, which is very old-style Shuri-Te which has had its applications passed down without being lost over the generations, and it contains an awful lot of throwing for what most would consider to be a striking art.

There are those who choose to place karate into a very defined box, which is fine for them, but I don't like such limitations on my study.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Fair statement and good points. It makes a lot of sense to me. But I tend to view karate as a template, more or less. There are many ways. The toolbox is full and we choose our tools based on our preferences. I kind of prefer to be a bit like Choki Motobu personally. :) I tend to prefer striking and while I have a working knowledge of grappling and a bit of throws and takedowns, and I uses such things from kata, it is all only to open up the strike.

I have come to the conclusion(for me) after many years that I no longer care as much about what "might have been." I wasn't there so I can't say for sure. Some claim that their teacher's, teacher's teacher's uncles best friend was there and it was passed down directly to there instructor but again I...me...myself, was not there so I now look at it as anyones guess. Even with the holy passed down writings. But that's just me and I've been at this a long time. I've grown tired :) Now...for me...the truth is in the training. I have the template and I fit it to my needs. If I'm teaching then it is made so that the student can eventually do the same. Principles of movement. Principles work many different ways.

Thanks ....like I said...good stuff.