Bunkai should be taught...  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Bunkai should be taught...

• Never
    • to brown belts and above
    • after learning new kata
    • from white belt and above
    • only to trusted students

I agree the basic katas and some Pinans really don't need explanation.

I disagree with this. Sure, they can be fairly straight forward and easy to grasp, but I think that they go deeper. Take the Pinans for example. At face value they low level kata (depending on your style, I didn't learn Pinan Sandan until 2nd Kyu) that seem to follow a set pattern. However, look at the movements, especially as you get into Pinan Sandan. When you come to the bit where you move your foot circularly, and strike first with your elbow and then fist: that's crane. As the Pinans progress, you can more easily see the influence of crane style in them, and that is something that definitely needs to be explained.

Overall, when it comes to teaching, it is important to not assume that a student doesn't need explanation. What we find easy does not necessarily translate well to others. Some people need to be told that this-or-that block is for a kick. It is our impetus, as teachers, to explain everything, even those things that seem obvious.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Once again modern karate has blurred the publics vision of what karate is. Students are so used to going to class, warming up, practicing basics then practicing more basics this time while marching across the floor, then doing group kata followed by sparring, stretching and class is over. many establishments now get this all done in an hour! Then they spend their karate life wondering and searching the internet (HA! Years ago that luxury wasn't available) for answers to what the hell the kata are all about.

The problem is that kata is being practiced separate from their karate practice when in reality it should BE the practice. Kata is being memorized rather than learned and it has become a performance. True kata practice should be the whole class working out applications and practicing against a resisting opponent.

A kata shouldn't even be learned until the techniques of the kata have been practiced and applied against an opponent over and over for months and finally ingrained into muscle memory and become automatic. Thats is true kihon (basics) Then once those things are absorbed then a kata is taught and now the student has no question about what the kata is because he recognizes all of it from prior practice.

The kata is the class and the "solo" kata is only homework/notes to be taken home for reference and practice of technique and principles. Simple

I actually got together with a group of four like-minded dojo today. We get together every 2 months and rotate between each dojo's location & instructor where they deliver a lesson based on something fundamental to their style. We're a Shorin-ryu dojo, and there is Goju-ryu and 2 Shotokan.

This lesson was hosted by me, and we focused on what I called the "Functional Format of Bunkai". This looks at how kata was (re)engineered and possibly put together to represent the applications.

It is my opinion that kata is simply the representation of someone's self defence/fighting techniques in solo form, as a way to act as a template for their memory.

It is common, even in my style of Okinawan karate, that kata is taught for a long time (say until black belt) without application, and application is something that you do when you get a greater understanding of the solo movements.

I think there is a validation in this method, but I prefer to introduce application right from the start at a very basic level in the form of fundamentals or principles. We do not have designated applications for each technique or kata segment, but rather rules to apply to create an application.

Therefore, I think it is the sensei's job to instruct the student on fundamentals, principles, and of course, show actual application for kata and its segments, but I also think its up to the student to explore a little: we're all different sizes, heights, shapes, experience levels etc.

You might have noticed I didn't use the term "bunkai" above. That's because it's often used wrong. Bunkai means to disassemble or break apart, and Bunseki means to analyse, and oyo means to apply (or an application). However, most karate people use bunkai as the blanket term - which I think is ok, as long as you know the actual meaning too.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

• 1 month later...
It is a Sensei's job to teach the process and concept of "Bunkai"; to give the student the tools by which to analyse a kata. This can include potential applications, or suggested applications for kata movements, however, it is up to the student to develop their own understanding and use of said kata movements.

."

Wado Heretic, with all due respect I must disagree with you.

Bunkai are the applications by which the Kata was created. The founder (Matsumura Sokon in my styles case) of the art took the self defense applications, essentially mimicking the Quan and created the Kata from these applications.

Yes there are any number of applications that can be applied to any one movement/technique or series of within the Kata but the instructor should first explain and demonstrate the original application before allowing a student to develop their own.

If not the original intent and thus the foundation of the Kata is lost. Applying new applications is always a part of a students journey into enlightenment and self discovery but the core applications that inspired/created the Kata should be understood first.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Each student is different and should be taught when ready but essentially without bunkai tecnique/kata lacks depth and understanding is superficial. There are no secrets to be saved for Black Belts-we are all white belts just trying to improve our technique on a daily basis.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/