• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather see knockdown rules.

Agree...leave the point sparring to TKD.

Personally I disagree, because Point Sparring is vastly different between Karate and TKD. As such I'd like to see both forms of Point Sparring at the Olympic Level.

Personally I disagree, because Point Sparring is vastly different between Karate and TKD. As such I'd like to see both forms of Point Sparring at the Olympic Level.

The only part I like more about point sparring than knockdown is that it's easier to understand and follow for someone not familiar with the rules. The points scored are far clearer to see, and judges' decisions in who won and lost are easier to agree with. In knockdown, unless there's a clear KO or one guy clearly dominating his opponent, judges' decisions get tricky, especially to people who have no experience with it. It can very easily appear to be 2 guys slugging it out, and one guy wins for no apparent reason to the masses.

I'm just anti fights being stopped at every clean strike and guys yelling every time they think they scored a point. The most frustrating thing to me is when one guy yells (or worse - both guys yell), both fighters stop and look at the judge who's looking at them like "Why'd you stop? I didn't award a point." The bouncing around really drives me crazy too.

I guess it'll be like certain songs on the radio - if it's on while the TV's on, I won't change the channel; but I certainly won't clear my schedule to watch it either.

The only part I like more about point sparring than knockdown is that it's easier to understand and follow for someone not familiar with the rules. The points scored are far clearer to see, and judges' decisions in who won and lost are easier to agree with. In knockdown, unless there's a clear KO or one guy clearly dominating his opponent, judges' decisions get tricky, especially to people who have no experience with it. It can very easily appear to be 2 guys slugging it out, and one guy wins for no apparent reason to the masses.

I'm just anti fights being stopped at every clean strike and guys yelling every time they think they scored a point. The most frustrating thing to me is when one guy yells (or worse - both guys yell), both fighters stop and look at the judge who's looking at them like "Why'd you stop? I didn't award a point." The bouncing around really drives me crazy too.

I guess it'll be like certain songs on the radio - if it's on while the TV's on, I won't change the channel; but I certainly won't clear my schedule to watch it either.

It is frustrating because from memory there is no clear timeframe for when you can be pipped and given a warning for wasting time.

Having Karate in the Olympics would actually spur my interest in watching them. I am trying to convince my Sensei to try out.

Not sure that will be successful.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

While having Karate in the IOC might be a good thing, the one thing I've noticed with the Rio IOC, as well as IOC's of the past, Judo and TKD don't receive much TV coverage, and that still might be the lack of interest from the general viewing public, but it also might be due how the given network decides what and how long any event might receive.

The Judo I've seen thus far might be 30 minutes, at best, overall coverage, and I hope that TKD fairs much better. My fingers are crossed!!

This is what I'm afraid of...Karate might suffer the same fate. If the networks would air much more than a tidbit, interest might peak with the general viewers.

However, how does any of the MA in the IOC generate that interest against gymnastics or weightlifting or boxing or volleyball or soccer or diving or swimming or track and field or tennis or ping pong or a half dozen others?? It's difficult!!

The general viewing audience knows about Judo and TKD already, and these two have been in the IOC for some time. The networks, imho, are the ones who decide coverage, especially prime time.

Sports that have rounds or sets or quarters or what have you, spend more time on air than those that don't.

Oh well...what's one to do but enjoy the coverage allowed and be thankful it's covered at all.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

While having Karate in the IOC might be a good thing, the one thing I've noticed with the Rio IOC, as well as IOC's of the past, Judo and TKD don't receive much TV coverage, and that still might be the lack of interest from the general viewing public, but it also might be due how the given network decides what and how long any event might receive.

The Judo I've seen thus far might be 30 minutes, at best, overall coverage, and I hope that TKD fairs much better. My fingers are crossed!!

This is what I'm afraid of...Karate might suffer the same fate. If the networks would air much more than a tidbit, interest might peak with the general viewers.

However, how does any of the MA in the IOC generate that interest against gymnastics or weightlifting or boxing or volleyball or soccer or diving or swimming or track and field or tennis or ping pong or a half dozen others?? It's difficult!!

The general viewing audience knows about Judo and TKD already, and these two have been in the IOC for some time. The networks, imho, are the ones who decide coverage, especially prime time.

Sports that have rounds or sets or quarters or what have you, spend more time on air than those that don't.

Oh well...what's one to do but enjoy the coverage allowed and be thankful it's covered at all.

What gets air play is what gets most viewers. Why? More viewers = higher premiums from commercials. Think about it... The only reason why anything on tv exists is to keep you entertained in between commercials.

What gets air play is what gets most viewers. Why? More viewers = higher premiums from commercials. Think about it... The only reason why anything on tv exists is to keep you entertained in between commercials.

I agree with that. I just want to be more entertained with more Judo or TKD or Karate; equal play for all sports, not just the usual ones that dominate my entertainment factor!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think with internet streaming, more events are accessible than in the past. It used to be that everything was on 1 station. Now, the 1 station that has the contract to carry the games (nbc) has multiple stations under their banner. Add internet, and there's no reason I know of that every event can't be watched in one way or another.

Re. TV, I think this depends on the country. In the UK we get access to it all and both Judo and TKD receive plenty of coverage, even making the national news and the athletes get special features on them. Karate in 2020 would probably get equal attention in the UK.

Then again we have 10 dedicated TV stations to the Olympics (without ads!) and can watch whatever we want online.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius