• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Professional boxers allowed to compete at Rio 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/36425046

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) have voted to allow professional boxers top compete alongside amateurs at this year's Olympics (provided they qualify and are chosen by their national team).

Thoughts? Is this a good move or bad move? Do you anticipate any pro-boxers entering and if so, how do you think you'll do?

For the uninitiated, there are a few differences between pro and amateur boxing matches. For a brief run down, see here:

http://boxingontario.com/athletes/amateur-vs-pro-boxing/

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why not!! If an NBA player can play in the IOC, then why not allow a pro boxer enter the Rio 2016?!?!?!

Let me say this, then I'll shut-up!!

I hate the fact that NBA players are allowed to play in the Olympics. I thought that the Olympics were for amateur's, who then moved up to the professional status. I do know the difference from a pro and an amateur...one gets paid while the other doesn't.

How many Bronze and Silver medals have the USA Basketball team won since NBA players have been allowed? ZERO!! Nothing but Gold...each and every time.

Levels are not to be ignored!! High school...College...Semi-Pro...Pro!! As one goes from one to the other, they're much more better than that of the level before.

To me...it's an unfair advantage! Imagine Mayweather at the Rio 2016...quite unfair to his opponents. Sure, the upset might happen, but that's a hope and a dream for his opponent.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I kind of anticipate Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio stepping up to the plate to compete for their respective countries.

For Basketball, IMHO America in a way has an unfair advantage because they have so much advertising and sponsorship that goes into not only the NBA but also the College Level. So their facilities are leagues ahead of other Leagues (i.e. NBL in Australia, Euroleague in Europe etc). So the conditioning opportunities are more readily available.

But that is just me coming from Australia

Why not!! If an NBA player can play in the IOC, then why not allow a pro boxer enter the Rio 2016?!?!?!

I hate the fact that NBA players are allowed to play in the Olympics. I thought that the Olympics were for amateur's, who then moved up to the professional status. I do know the difference from a pro and an amateur...one gets paid while the other doesn't.

How many Bronze and Silver medals have the USA Basketball team won since NBA players have been allowed? ZERO!! Nothing but Gold...each and every time.

Levels are not to be ignored!! High school...College...Semi-Pro...Pro!! As one goes from one to the other, they're much more better than that of the level before.

To me...it's an unfair advantage! Imagine Mayweather at the Rio 2016...quite unfair to his opponents. Sure, the upset might happen, but that's a hope and a dream for his opponent.

The 2004 basketball team the won bronze, not gold. They could have been the most disappointing team ever.

I kind of anticipate Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio stepping up to the plate to compete for their respective countries.

For Basketball, IMHO America in a way has an unfair advantage because they have so much advertising and sponsorship that goes into not only the NBA but also the College Level. So their facilities are leagues ahead of other Leagues (i.e. NBL in Australia, Euroleague in Europe etc). So the conditioning opportunities are more readily available.

But that is just me coming from Australia

Solid post!!

The 2004 basketball team the won bronze, not gold. They could have been the most disappointing team ever.

Whoa!! My bad...I stand corrected...thanks JR 137...I'm shocked because I didn't think they'd ever get anything else but gold.

:spitlaugh:

I don't like it- Olympics has been and should continue to be the proving ground for amateurs. Professionals already have something to fight for in terms of money and belts. Keep something for the amateurs.

I don't like it- Olympics has been and should continue to be the proving ground for amateurs. Professionals already have something to fight for in terms of money and belts. Keep something for the amateurs.

Solid post!!

• 2 weeks later...

If the Olympics are supposed to be competition between the best in the world, then professional athletes should be allowed to compete, regardless of the sport.

If the Olympics are supposed to be competition between the best in the world, then professional athletes should be allowed to compete, regardless of the sport.

Key word: if. They are not. A gold medal doesn't measure up to a nba or nhl championship nor does it measure up to a championship belt. In regards to these e ends, olympics are for amateurs. Professionals would have way too much experience, money, and resources at their disposal.