• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Defense Against a Wild Animal

Now normally we focus our martial arts against human attackers, but we seem to overlook attacks from animals such as dogs. So if possible, I would like to discuss self defense against animals such as dogs and the like.

Predicting an attack from humans is one thing, but from a wild animal, no pun intended, but that is a different beast altogether. Has anybody here used their martial arts against a wild or otherwise hostile animal? To start this off, I wanted to show a video about some defensive techniques against say a dog attack.

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

same as against people.

stop kicks; elbows to the head when it bites; also the animal has carotid arteries, so one could get a chokehold depending on the position.

i would hate to have to defend against an animal and one shouldn't forget, that many of them are just way to strong with more muscle weight than we have overall and one wouldn't stand a chance (boars, bears...)

With a dog, just remember that they are a dog and you are an adult human, likely much larger and stronger. If they won't let you leave peacefully, punt them like a football. You most likely won't be badly hurt unless you run away.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

One of my TKD friends owns a vets practice... she always says the biggest thing with dogs and other animals is to realize the warning signs early on and just give the dog space if you need to. Things like flattened ears, stiffened bodies

Dogs are much faster and stronger than humans and I really wouldn't want to try to beat one to the punch, or kick. Personally, I would just back away and put something between myself and the dog. I certainly wouldn't initiate and try to kick it if it was snapping at me as a warning. If it wanted to bite me it would have done already so I wouldn't want to put myself in harms way. Worst case scenario and one did get hold of me, my fingers are going in its eyes until it lets go.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have had some training in taking on dogs, it's a toughie, that video above just would not work, in kicking range the dog is already flying towards your chest or upper arm.

You should assume that the dog has latched onto you. Crush chest/ribs with your superior weight if you can. He will likely be wriggling around on the end of your arm, so drop onto him if you can and destroy his ribs/chest with elbows or whatever. Finish him by "breaking the wishbone". Stand on one of his legs and lift his other leg with a strong jerking pull.

Large mammals, well generally you are screwed, they do say that several people have been released by crocs etc by going for the eyes......

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Humans, unfortunately, are the weakest and most defenseless of all the animals. We have no claws and our teeth are puny and useless compared to almost every other species.

What makes humans able to stand a chance against the various large and fiercer animals is our intelligence, which allows us to use strategy as well as making or improvising weapons. That is what a human should use in dealing with an animal attack.

I'm with DwX and Sparticus on this. It's a bad spot to be in. I've always opted to go the spray route with them. Way better option than not having something in hand.

When it comes to escalating weapons, check in with Groinstrike. He actually had to use a machete on one (no kidding, this actually happened) that invaded his apartment once.

Again, in intermediate weapon is the way to go.

I'm with DwX and Sparticus on this. It's a bad spot to be in. I've always opted to go the spray route with them. Way better option than not having something in hand.

When it comes to escalating weapons, check in with Groinstrike. He actually had to use a machete on one (no kidding, this actually happened) that invaded his apartment once.

Again, in intermediate weapon is the way to go.

Actually, the machete was Grant.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Check local laws though. Pepper spray is illegal to carry by civilians in the UK.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Check local laws though. Pepper spray is illegal to carry by civilians in the UK.

Then what's left for the civilian to use in the UK? More importantly, why is pepper spray illegal for civilians in the UK?

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!