• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not until 4th dan?

Spartacus Maximus

There's a book about the origins of the Okinawan Karate styles which does mention something like what you are referring to, although its buried under a ton of stuff on these shelves, and I can't remember the exact title. From what I remember, the Okinawan masters somewhat frowned on sparring as they didn't want Karate to gain a reputation for brawling, nor attract the attention of the Japanese government. At least that's what the book claimed. So, the Okinawan masters restricted sparring to seasoned pupils and it was done behind closed doors.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are certain requirements on katas, like in tae kwon do for example.

Welcome to KF; 5thdan; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

Can you briefly explain some of the certain requirements on kata further??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

each kata has a belt or dan requirement in most schools :)

I don't think I know any school that doesn't have an associated rank for each kata.

By what I mean is that each rank has a required kata but may be taught prior to that rank to allow for further practice.

each kata has a belt or dan requirement in most schools :)

Yes, you're absolutely correct. Thanks, 5thdan!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Sparring is honesty the rest is art.
That's a really interesting thing to say. Can you go a little deeper? I'd really like to unpack that saying.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Martial arts is widely regarded as a combat sport. Many people, including students, think just because people practice martial arts, they are good fighters. That is a misconception. The only way to know is to test yourself against other opponents. That is the truth.

My first instructor was a Buddhist and his brother a Buddhist monk. To them martial arts was a religion. They taught us the artful expression of kata and the spiritual aspect meditation. That's the Art. Coincidentally, it was also the best fighting school around at the time.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

Martial arts is widely regarded as a combat sport. Many people, including students, think just because people practice martial arts, they are good fighters. That is a misconception. The only way to know is to test yourself against other opponents. That is the truth.

My first instructor was a Buddhist and his brother a Buddhist monk. To them martial arts was a religion. They taught us the artful expression of kata and the spiritual aspect meditation. That's the Art. Coincidentally, it was also the best fighting school around at the time.

I like your saying, and I think there is a lot to that. A lot of traditional styles really focus on the betterment of self, to the exclusion of getting better than someone else. But when it comes to the physical aspect of fighting, you need to be better than the other person. Martial Arts should always be a partner practice.