• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full Kata Curriculum

Nidan Melbourne

I'm interested to know what you have for your school. What is the full list of kata you have for your school.

Mine is as such:

Curriculum:

Taikyoku Jodan

Taikyou Chudan

Taikyoku Gedan

Taikyoku Kake Uke Ich

Taikyoku Mawashi Ich

Gekesai Dai Ich

Gekesai Dai Ni

Sanchin

Tensho

Saifa

Seeiunchin

Sanseru

Seisan

Shisochin

Seipai

Kururunfa

Suparempei

Bonus: Gekesai Dai San. Not a required kata for any grade.

For the Goju-Ryu people what extras do you have or not?

For those who are curious or don't know, Goju-Ryu have 12 core kata which in my list above is Gekesai - Suparempei. The Taikyoku Kata were created by Miyagi Sensei to assist younger students due to the complexities of the more advanced kata. But not part of the core

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kihon 1-3

Fukyu no Kata

Naihanchi 1-3

Pinan 1-5

Passai Sho/Dai

Kusanku Sho/Dai

Chinto

Gojushiho

Gorin

Several of the instructors have some extra kata, which are taught from time to time, but those are the kata in our official curriculum.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'm interested to know what you have for your school. What is the full list of kata you have for your school.

Mine is as such:

Curriculum:

Taikyoku Jodan

Taikyou Chudan

Taikyoku Gedan

Taikyoku Kake Uke Ich

Taikyoku Mawashi Ich

Gekesai Dai Ich

Gekesai Dai Ni

Sanchin

Tensho

Saifa

Seeiunchin

Sanseru

Seisan

Shisochin

Seipai

Kururunfa

Suparempei

For those who are curious or don't know, Goju-Ryu have 12 core kata which in my list above is Gekesai - Suparempei. The Taikyoku Kata were created by Miyagi Sensei to assist younger students due to the complexities of the more advanced kata. But not part of the core

Taikyoku kata were created by Gichin Funakoshi.

I'm interested in Gekisai Dai San. Any video of it? Kyokushin and offshoots do Gekisai Sho. It's reportedly a Miyagi kata, but I highly doubt it is. Primary reason being I haven't heard of anyone doing Gekisai Sho outside of Kyokushin and offshoots. I've never heard of Gekisai Dai San until now. It may possibly be what we call Gekisai Sho.

The list of kata taught is this:

Kihon kata 1-5

Naihanchi 1-3

Pinan 1-5

Passai Sho

Passai Dai

Kusanku Sho

Kusanku Dai

Chinto

Gojushiho

There many other excercises and a variety of drills, but they are not on this list. Also, the order in which the kata are taught will vary depending on each person. Only the kihon kata are taught in their numerically logical order. Once a student has learned all 5 kihon and the first Naihanchi, the next kata taught can be any of the Pinan series. This is possible only because the dojo has very few total members, and most training days there are no more than 5 training at one time.

Taikyokou Shodan 8th Kyu

Taikyokou Sandan 7th Kyu

Heian Shodan 6th Kyu

Heian Nidan 5th Kyu

Heian Sandan 4th Kyu

Heian Yondan 3rd Kyu

Heian Godan 2nd Kyu

Tekki Shodan 1st Kyu

Tekki Nidan Shodan Ho

Tekki Sandan Shodan Ho

Bassai Dai – Shodan Ho

Jion – Shodan

Nidan – 2 of Bassai Sho, Kanku Dai, Kanku Sho, Gangaku, Hangetsu, Empi,

Sandan – 2 of Unsu, Sochin, Nijushiho, Gojushiho Sho, Gojushiho Dai, Meikyo

Mine is as such:

Curriculum:

Taikyoku Jodan

Taikyou Chudan

Taikyoku Gedan

Taikyoku Kake Uke Ich

Taikyoku Mawashi Ich

Gekesai Dai Ich

Gekesai Dai Ni

Sanchin

Tensho

Saifa

Seeiunchin

Sanseru

Seisan

Shisochin

Seipai

Kururunfa

Suparempei

Taikyoku kata were created by Gichin Funakoshi.

I'm interested in Gekisai Dai San. Any video of it? Kyokushin and offshoots do Gekisai Sho. It's reportedly a Miyagi kata, but I highly doubt it is. Primary reason being I haven't heard of anyone doing Gekisai Sho outside of Kyokushin and offshoots. I've never heard of Gekisai Dai San until now. It may possibly be what we call Gekisai Sho.

You are correct that Funakoshi Sensei Created it to aid with Heian/Pinan Kata, but from memory and re-looked it up Yamaguchi Sensei and Miyagi Sensei took that concept and created the 5 Taikyoku I listed.

I will try and get a video recorded of it when I can and if I can remember the full thing. Otherwise I'll see if my Sensei can perform it whilst I film it, then will upload it to youtube and will put the link in.

What other Goju-Ryu Katas have you heard or seen? I recently saw two Goju-Ryu Schools doing Empi-Ha and Gekiha which I believe were creations by Sensei Peter Urban

The Goju kata I've seen are mainly the 12 you listed from Gekisai Dai Ichi - Suparimpei. I know of Goju schools adding a few like Taikyoku 1-3, but that's about it.

I googled Gekisai Dai San and saw some videos. It looked like a blend of Sanchin in the beginning followed by Gekisai Dai Ni. Here's a video of Gekisai Sho from Kyokushin...

Seido performs the movement going up the middle in the beginning a little differently, but that's the only difference. Kyokushin credits the kata to Miyagi, but I have strong doubts.

I don't know all of the required kata in Seido as I haven't seen a full syllabus to the highest dan ranks. Here's what I know of, not it rank order...

Kyu grades

Taikyoku 1-3

Pinan 1-5

Seido 1-4 (Kaicho Nakamura's creation)

Sanchin

Gekisai Dai

Yantsu

Tsuki No

Saiha

Tensho

Shodan

Seido 5

Gekisai Sho

Seiunchin

Nidan

Koryu Gojushiho (called Sushiho in Kyokushin; heavily modified Gojushiho)

Sandan

Kanku

Seido Empi No Kata Dai

Yondan

Seido Empi No Kata Sho

There are Bo, Jo, and Sai kata at dan levels too. I've once heard there's a katana kata at 6th or 7th dan, but I could be mistaken. I know there is katana stuff at the higher levels. There may be more dan level kata, but those are the only ones I know of.

Notably absent (to me) is Unsu. My previous organization taught it at Nidan, and I always wanted to learn it.

Kyu Grades

Isshinryu-ized Fukyugata Sho

Isshinryu-ized Kozai

Isshinryu-ized Ananku

Seisan

Saifa

Seiunchin

Nihanchi

Wansu

(kids receive JBB here)

Chinto

Supple Dragon

Kusanku

Nijushiho

Sunsu

Sanchin

Bando Hidden Stick or Horseman's bo staff form as an introduction to kobudo

Dan Ranks

Really different for everyone depending on the person, their ability, their time availability, their goals, their interests, etc. All the empty hand Isshinryu kata have been studied at this point, so people generally focus more on Kobudo for new material as well as study empty hand kata from other systems and work to perfect/study bunkai for their earlier kata.