• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can Karate forfill the mind body and spirit

Alan Armstrong

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Head over to the Introductions Section and introduce yourself.

Oss Sensei!

Haha I might be a Nidan in real life, and a simple guide here as well but I am no Sensei.

I have not been given that title [sensei],by my sensei and definitely don't feel like I deserve that title yet.

For me to be called sensei, I would have to be a Sandan

• 2 months later...

Oss Sensei!

Haha I might be a Nidan in real life, and a simple guide here as well but I am no Sensei.

I have not been given that title [sensei],by my sensei and definitely don't feel like I deserve that title yet.

For me to be called sensei, I would have to be a Sandan

If a person is a Sensei in mind, body and spirit, then they would deserve to be called Sensei, no matter if they were awarded it or not.

This will all depend on the person training and their reasons for starting karate the first place.

For the people who want karate to fulfill the mind, body and spirit portion of their lives, they will make this happen. This will not be the case for people who started practicing for different reasons.

I've seen many high ranking instructors/practitioners preach the philosophies of karate but abuse those same philosophies when it suited their purposes. Most of these purposes revolved around ego, control and power. True humility is rare in the martial arts world. It does exist, but I've found it to be the exception to the rule.

Think I'm wrong. Ask yourself a simple question. Do you respect your sensei, or do you fear them? There is a big difference.

Respect through admiration and respect through fear are indeed two very different things. Respect through fear will usually end up manifesting into something bad, be it physical in nature, or perhaps political in nature.

Earning respect through example of character and work ethic is the best way to do it.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm interested in Zen philosophy.

For me, Karate does satisfy mind, body and spirit.

For me, the study of Karate is learning to do one thing well. The thing I am doing at that time. Living in the moment.

Also, life is learning to do one thing well. The thing I am doing at that time. Living in the moment.

I like your train of thought :)

I also like you train of thought. Would be interested in hearing some of your other thoughts as well.

• 1 month later...
It depends what the meaning of training and martial arts are to the one involved. For some people it is just a physical activity, a sport or a hobby. For others it may be a lifetime endeavour with goals of personal betterment. What ever the case, it is rarely sufficient all by itself to truly make a fully happy and content life.

Everyone needs other people to interact and have social relationships to be in good moral, mental and spiritual health. Countless other intangible things are also very important and will be different according to each person's background and personality.

:bowofrespect: :bowofrespect: :bowofrespect:

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK