• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Meet sensei8 & Wastelander at a Karate Event in Arizona!

Patrick

Hey all,

I thought I would mention that Noah (Wastelander) is organizing an event in Scottsdale, Arizona from March 17 through 19, 2017, the Ryukyu Martial Arts Friendship Gasshuku.

As if that wasn't cool enough, Bob (sensei8) will be one of the teachers at the event. They have a dedicated Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/475530265988784/

After the success of our Ryukyu Martial Arts Friendship Gasshuku in the Autumn of 2015, we are happy to announce the dates for our next Gasshuku! The event will start on the evening of March 17th, 2017, and continue all day on the 18th and 19th. Details are still being finalized, but we have a great tentative lineup of instructors who are planning on teaching at the Gasshuku:

Ryan Parker, Ryukyu Kempo and Shorin-Ryu, author of http://ryukyuma.blogspot.com/

Dr. Raphael Gutierrez, Shogen-Ryu and Yamane-Ryu Bojutsu, author of Cereus and the Rarest Thing

Chris Denwood, Shorin-Ryu, author of Naihanchi/Tekki: The Seed of Shuri Karate

Ulf Karlsson, KishimotoDi and Taido

Paul Enfield, Goju-Ryu

Richard Poage, Shorin-Ryu and Kokusai Rengokai Kobudo

Michael Newland, Shorin-Ryu and Matayoshi-Ryu Kobudo

Robert Rivers, Motobu-Ryu Udundi

Dan Djurdjevic, Goju-Ryu and Chen Pon Ling kung fu, author of Essential Jo

Robert Mitcham, current head of Saitou-Ryu Shindokan

If anyone else plans to attend, please let us know here! It would be cool if several KF members met up. :) I'm sure it will be an amazing event.

Thanks,

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks for sharing, Patrick!

We would love to have KF members attend, so if you can make arrangements to attend, definitely let me know!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

My attendance to the aforementioned event is tentative, at best. I will be doing everything in my power to attend this event!!

While I'm penciled in on their calendar, and as I explained it to Noah [Wastelander], my SKKA calendar is always quite full in quarters Q1 and Q2 with our Hombu's Annual Testing Cycle, which is held the last week of June and the first week of July every year. In those time frames leading up to the Q2 Annual Testing Cycle, I lead a small group from the Hombu as we visit every dojo within the SKKA network.

I also explained to Noah, that I won't know for absolute positive that I'll be able to attend said event UNTIL THAT WEEK, and not before!! While I've also penciled those dates into my calendar as well, things leading up to our Annual Testing Cycle occur whereas my attendance might be needed elsewhere within the SKKA network. As always, my first obligation is to the student body of the SKKA, and this includes the SKKA itself.

I also explained to Noah, that if I'm able to clear my calendar, I will only be available to attend for one day, and that is to teach, and one day only, and not the entire time due to SKKA obligations.

It's not Saitou-ryu Shindokan...but...it's Shindokan Saitou-ryu, of which I'm ONLY the "head" of the Shindokan Karate and Kobudo Association [sKKA], and NOT the "head" of Shindokan Saitou-ryu.

I've my fingers and toes and eyes crossed that I'll be able to attend this event. If this event were scheduled during Q3 or Q4, I'd have a much better chance to attend and to teach for the entire event.

As Patrick has mentioned, I would love to see many KF members attend this event, but, where one lives and whatever else, might make this only a dream, and not a reality. Time will tell!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for sharing, Patrick!

We would love to have KF members attend, so if you can make arrangements to attend, definitely let me know!

I wholeheartedly concur!!

:D

It's not Saitou-ryu Shindokan...but...it's Shindokan Saitou-ryu, of which I'm ONLY the "head" of the Shindokan Karate and Kobudo Association [sKKA], and NOT the "head" of Shindokan Saitou-ryu.

I suppose it's all semantics at the end of the day. As Kiacho of the SKKA, I suppose one could view it that while I'm the "head" of the SKKA, I'm also, by default, the "head" of Shindokan Saitou-ryu as well; can't separate the two. Because our Soke has always said that Shindokan doesn't belong to anyone, even him, because it's [shindokan] for everyone, and therefore, no one is the sole owner of Shindokan.

My official title is Kaicho Robert Mitcham, SKKA/Shindokan Saitou-ryu. This just simply means that the buck stops with me within the SKKA, as well as with anything regarding Shindokan Saitou-ryu. The great news about the Shindokan part is that I'm not alone in that regards when one looks at the total combined experiences that I bring with me to the table from the upper hierarchy of the SKKA; 350 years. Outside of my little rant, I will do my utmost best to attend the event!!

One last thing...Patrick, I too thank you for the topic. It was cool and very nice of you to mention this event.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have loved to meet you guys down there but distance and time prevents me. Unless you can afford to send me a business class air ticket Then I promise to be there!

never give up !

That's awesome! That might make a nice spring break trip!

I'd love to see you there, Alex; you're quite solid across the board, and man oh man, YOU CAN TEACH...mad skills on the ground, as well!!

That's awesome! That might make a nice spring break trip!

It would be great to see you there! I'm planning to include an "open exchange" session, where we go around the room sharing techniques, so you'd even have a chance to teach us karate folks some grappling ;)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society