• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes someone a great martial artist?

Is it physical ability? number of fights won? knowledge? attitude?

What characteristics define a great martial artist from the average one?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe it's a combination of everything. Having knowledge on the art, having a good attitude towards others, having the physical abilities to perform your art. I don't think winning fights is important. Sensei Joseph Carbonara was an amazing martial artist who never competed in Kumite, and MANY martial artists sought out his knowledge because he was simply amazing.

Having said that, I think it's also important not to try to be better than others, but to constantly strive to be better than yourself. The more that shows and the less others see you trying to be better than everyone, I think it'll be obvious to others how true of a martial artist you are. Even still, the goal should be to show yourself that, not others 😁

Great question, I think it all depends on you as the individual. Physical ability, sure that's great, but it's not necessarily the end all be all. Number of fights won? Are we talking about fights that have rulers or are we talking about street fighting? Knowledge and attitude I would say are the two most important. Since everyone cannot not teach nor is everyone physically gifted, than I guess attitude is the most important, attitude towards yourself to improve your martial arts skill. A great martial artist will either try to improve him or herself or help improve others.

Just my two cents.

Teachers are always learning

This I feel like is up to the eye of the beholder. Because I see my fianceé as a great martial artist due to her not restricting herself to 1 martial art but learns all of them.

She then also has adopted the attitude and started learning the history from each.

Some People are Great Martial Artists because of the competition side, some are great from the theoretical and historical sides.

I am aware of some students seeing me as a great martial artist due to me taking such a personal approach with every single one of them whilst being their instructor.

The question to this, imho, might be up to the eye of the beholder...or not!!

I'm complete in my totality as a MAist, and I don't rise and sleep in the expectations of others on and off the floor. In my entire MA life, there has only been one person that I truly valued their opinion on and off the floor regarding anything MA...Yoshinobu Takahashi Sensei, Judan, Hanshi...my Sensei...Dai-Soke.

I've enough to do in my MA life to worry about what others think or don't think about me; life is too short to ponder things like this. Having said that, let me quote this...

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"~John Lydgate

I'm a MAist; I just want to improve my MA betterment whenever and however I can. After that, I want to share the floor with my brothers and sisters of the MA; one huge and devoted family, this, we are!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

"Great" has different connotations for everyone. I think attitude is an important trait, work ethic, an ability to show proficiency physically and in conversation, and then demonstrating the ability to listen and learn from others. In my mind, these things make one great.

My expectations don't have to match up with yours. That's not reasonable, imho!!

I like Chevy...you like Ford...we're not in agreement as to which one is greater than the other...the Ford or the Chevy. That's good because we've differing expectations over the word..."great", when alas, both the Chevy and the Ford will do what they were designed to do...and that is...

...looking like a car!! That can't be denied!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!