• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who is the most influential martial artist of our era?

There are really too many to name, considering how many arts are out there. Iain Abernethy and Patrick McCarthy, certainly, are among the most influential people in the karate world, right now. I would also say that Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming should be included when looking at Chinese arts. Maul Mornie takes that role for the Silat world, I believe. Buakaw Banchamek and Tony Jaa in the world of Muay Thai/Boran. Hakuho in sumo. Ronda Rousey in MMA. Etc.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, Nidan Melbourne! I would hardly consider myself to be influential, though!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Influential to whom and by what standards does one adhere to?? To say "Now", I believe that one will have to be influential to the masses and not to the selected few.

Funny...or...sad...no one here has yet given their immediate instructor(s) any credit as someone that has influenced them. Which is fine because that's not what Danielle is asking, and your instructor(s) is for you and not for the masses, as I believe is her parameters.

OK...Placing tape over my mouth!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Influential to whom and by what standards does one adhere to?? To say "Now", I believe that one will have to be influential to the masses and not to the selected few.

Funny...or...sad...no one here has yet given their immediate instructor(s) any credit as someone that has influenced them. Which is fine because that's not what Danielle is asking, and your instructor(s) is for you and not for the masses, as I believe is her parameters.

Haha, yes, of course my instructor is the most influential, to me! Eventually, I'm sure he will be considered one of the most influential people in the martial arts world, generally. Right now, though, our realm of influence is rather small :)

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Haha, yes, of course my instructor is the most influential, to me! Eventually, I'm sure he will be considered one of the most influential people in the martial arts world, generally. Right now, though, our realm of influence is rather small :)

And if your realm of influence remains rather small, for whatever the reasons(s) might or might not be, will you all continue on your journey, nonetheless??

And if your realm of influence remains rather small, for whatever the reasons(s) might or might not be, will you all continue on your journey, nonetheless??

The reach of my instructor's influence isn't the reason I train with him ;). Of course, an expanded influence would mean more opportunities for him, and for me, but neither of us will stop training if it doesn't grow.

Usually martial artists have a very narrow frame of influence limited to their system outside of which they are not as well known. One of the reasons Bruce Lee and others with a similar wide-ranging reputation became universally known and recognized is due in part to their success in the entertainment business but also because they did not truly belong to a specific system.

Usually martial artists have a very narrow frame of influence limited to their system outside of which they are not as well known. One of the reasons Bruce Lee and others with a similar wide-ranging reputation became universally known and recognized is due in part to their success in the entertainment business but also because they did not truly belong to a specific system.

Solid post!!

I feel like Wastelander is rather influential, and will be moreso in the coming decades

That's pretty cool! Hopefully, we all get to watch that unfold. :)

Rather recently, for better or worse, Ronda Rousey has made a significant impact on the Martial Arts world.

I'd also have to second Nidan Melbourne's thoughts on Iain Abernethy with his work in applications, and that of Royce Gracie's impact on the MA world in the '90s, and the Gracie family in general.

Interesting responses so far guys! Era was a bad choice of words as I really meant martial artists of our generation.

I'd like to think Ronda Rousey has had a big impact. She dominated women's UFC for the most part and has now shifted over to acting bringing martial arts for women into the public eye and making it cool. She's showing young girls that it's not just men and "manly" women who can learn to fight.

I'd also agree with people like Iain Abernethy and Patrick McCarthy

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius