• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Degree in martial arts studies?!

The university of Bridgeport offers a BA in Martial Arts Studies. I AM GOING TO DO THIS.

My question is, what would be good to do this with? I'm not a high enough rank to teach martial arts, although I'm pretty sure you have to train in either TKD, Karate or a Chinese MA in order to graduate, in most cases 4 years is how long it takes to get your black belt. Sensei8 said not all black belts can teach and I agree. But it's an option. Otherwise, Id minor in business.

If I shouldn't minor in business, does anyone have some suggestions? I know some of you are thinking that's a stupid major and that it's not smart, but I've been constantly looking at other choices and none of them interest me whatsoever.

Here is the link to their website, along with a list of classes that I'd be taking:

http://www.bridgeport.edu/academics/undergraduate/martial-arts-studies-b/curriculum-and-requirements/#

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to reply to the other thread where you were getting at this, but here is better...

Have you thought about Physical Education? If teaching is something you're ultimately after, physical education is a field where there is day job availability, and there's a ton of crossover. The job market is pretty tough, depending on where you are, but also depending on where you are, the salary can become very good after a few years and the retirement system can also be (states vary, especially with unions).

I'm a NYS certified Physical Education teacher. Learning what I did in school, I think all MA teachers should take a few classes in it. Teaching PE is all about movement. Breaking down a complex movement into the most basic parts and building up. It's also about knowing how to motivate and give proper feedback. So is teaching MA.

Teaching any subject in any school isn't for everyone, and neither is teaching MA. And just because someone is a good athlete doesn't mean they'll be a good coach. Same as any other field.

With PE, you can take what you learn in the dojo, take what you learn in school, and bring them together. It's far easier to be your own person rather than replicate what your teacher(s) do.

Business training is also crucial if you want to own a full time dojo. You can be the best teacher ever, but if you don't know how to market yourself and balance costs and income, your doors probably won't stay open very long.

University of Vermont offers a small business management major.

The Bridgeport program seems new. Bridgeport is a good school (I used to live about half hour away from it), and I know some alums. I'd be weary of it because its most likely in its infancy.

Personally, it sounds like a fun way to take some classes, if you had the money to do so without borrowing it. I can't see where the actualy degree would be of any value, unless you wanted to hang a diploma on the wall of yor dojo showing you took the courses.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

But just how is what they're teaching not going to contradict with three things?

1> Your CI

2> Your Hombu

3> Your own summations and conclusions [After all, you're not a mindless robot]

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This made the rounds several years ago. I'd say if you've got the time and money to put into it, then heck, give it a go. I don't imagine the degree you get will be worth much more than a glorified instructor's certificate, but that doesn't mean the training wouldn't be worthwhile, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming this is an accredited university, I don't think this major is stupid. It's use is limited, but so are many others. If you get into it and find you don't have an affinity for it or don't like it as much as you thought, you can always change majors and/or transfer. The curriculum is a little light on the business stuff, but it's a major in MA studies, not running a MA school. Like you said, you can always minor in business.

Some of my customers started their own martial arts schools young and chose majors accordingly. The two most common majors are business and kinesiology. Most didn't complete the programs though. Running a business while going to school is tough. Most of them dropped out but focused on their businesses and did well anyway.

In my experience though, most martial arts instructors don't make a living from it. For many, it's more of a hobby than a career. Martial arts is kind of like music. A few stars make good money. Many are studio musicians who can make a living doing what they love, if not always the way they want to do it. Many do it because they love it, and if they can make a little extra money, they'll take it.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

It is probably more reasonable to earn a degree from a recognized accredited university in something that will be useful in a martial arts related field instead of martial arts.

There are so many other subjects to study that would yield much much more rewards than just martial arts. Before making a choice, one would do well to answer this: what do I want this degree for? personal interest or marketable qualification? A degree in martial arts may be interesting, but it will never be as useful as one in physical education or something similar.

It is probably more reasonable to earn a degree from a recognized accredited university in something that will be useful in a martial arts related field instead of martial arts.

There are so many other subjects to study that would yield much much more rewards than just martial arts. Before making a choice, one would do well to answer this: what do I want this degree for? personal interest or marketable qualification? A degree in martial arts may be interesting, but it will never be as useful as one in physical education or something similar.

I agree with you, Many people who are interested in Martial Arts and want to make a life out it usually make the approach in studying a Health Related Degree from a Certificate to Post-Graduate (Master/PHD)