• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ways to make martial arts a career?

Hey guys, I've always loved martial arts and want it to be in my life as long as I live! I've been trying to figure out what to do for college but I'm too indecisive. So I want to know if you guys have any ideas on how I could make a profession in martial arts? Other than teaching in my own dojo or fighting professionally.

I would LOVE to teach martial arts, but having a backup plan that I could work towards while I continue my study in Karatedo would help out a lot. So if anyone could give me ideas, ways to accomplish these ideas, or any advice at all, id really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not all black belts can teach!!

Btw, what's your current rank?

I believe that this must be first understood before one walks onto any floor to teach the MA. Nonetheless, there are other ways to earn a living in the MA away from the floor. School manager, tournament promoter, supply store catering to the MA, and so many other ways.

If one's the ability to teach, then seminars and the like can supply ones bottom line, this is of course, in-house seminars as well as visiting other schools.

Branding and marketing are important, and shouldn't be taken lightly. That too take skills outside of one MA skills. Do either one haphazardly, the journey will be short lived and for cause.

It's not easy to make a living in the MA. I know, I've been owning and operating my own dojo since 1977. However, while I've been blessed in the size of my student body, I've earned a living outside of the dojo as well in a wide variety of endeavors. I've also owned a MA supply store, which was in the front section of my dojo.

But, first of all, I had to know if I can teach!! If not, then I suppose I would've tried other avenues to explore within the MA to make a living. Know this, full-time is rare, while part-time isn't. In my case, I was fortunate enough to earn a living in the MA full-time.

Don't let anything I say dissuade you from what's in your heart. I wish you luck!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

As sensei8 said that not all black belts can teach. Since you're a yonkyu i would say wait till you are more experienced and a higher rank. UNLESS you employ an instructor in the same style to teach that is of a higher rank. I believe being at least 3rd dan is important as you should know the whole curriculum or majority of it for your style.

I am looking at operating my own dojo one day with my fianceé. But i will be operating my own medical centre at the same time. And i will be the chief instructor in the lead position due to me having more experience than my partner.

I don't know how it is practiced in other countries but in Poland you need to be certified instructor (it could be basic self defence, or system specific) and most bodies giving this certificates need you to be at least 3kyu in your art(don't know how they do it in case of grade less arts like muay thai)

You would need to own or rent a place to teach. And this might be quite expensive. You might also need to establish yourself as company business.

Also having a martial arts organisation backing you and your grade might also help.

Then you would need to think about students. How do you acquire them, and how much would you charge. And would you charge for a single lesson or a month up, or maybe one year contract.

And what about a side job to help rise money. My instructor was a firefighter. And there were few times when I had to take over and teach.

Establishing martial arts school is no easy thing. You should consider teaching in someones school as an instructor first, and learn how everything works, and you never know, the chief instructor might make you his successor if you are good enough.

A style is just a name.

I know its UK focused but this is a great overview of what you can expect as a martial arts instructor from average salary to recommended requirements :

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/martialartsinstructor.aspx

As alternatives to a dojo owner, have you considered the following :

- Law enforcement / security / military

- Health and fitness trainer or personal trainer

- Physical education teacher

- Martial Arts journalist or writer

- Martial Arts equipment supplier

- stunt performer

I'm sure there are a few other careers which would use the skillset too

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I know its UK focused but this is a great overview of what you can expect as a martial arts instructor from average salary to recommended requirements :

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/martialartsinstructor.aspx

- stunt performer

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

DWx has a good list there of opportunities to consider.

If you are looking at doing just Martial Arts, and running a school, then it would probably be wise to shoot for establishing a chain of schools by expanding after you get your first school established. This will depend a lot on the area you live in, the population, etc, and building your reputation up will help you even more. Its a high goal to shoot for, but something to consider.

• 1 month later...

- stunt performer

This.

You don't have to teach to make a career out of martial arts.

I'm a tradesman by profession, but made the switch to crowd control and am finishing off my personal training certifications at the moment.

I only opened my own dojo after everything else. And my dojo is definitely the least profitable of all of them! Luckily I sincerely love what I do, or it'd be very easy to throw the towel in.

3rd Dan is definitely advisable as a goal to start teaching at. But i've seen 1st Dans absolutely kill it. You need more than a black belt to be successful, you need business experience, knowledge, have a good bookkeeper, have some decent habits, be a shrewd businessman, and have marketing flair. And not be afraid to do the hard yards!

I used to draw up syllabus' when I was a kid and I was testing for my Kyu grades. I dreamed of having my own dojo. You obviously have a goal, don't lose sight!

If I could go back and give myself some advice, it'd be, have a realistic business plan, and keep your friends very VERY close. There's going to be times where you're not going to know how you'll cover overheads, and you'll lose sleep. You're going to need your friends to take your mind off things and stop you from going insane.

Given your experience, I'd continue to take classes & train & see how things go. It would be really hard to put all your eggs into that basket without more experience under your belt...so to speak.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton