• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Was It...

...that has catapulted these two, and others like these two, to the center of all that is Karate-do??

One's from Sweden, and the other is from United Kingdom, as far away as any place from the USA can be. I'm speaking about Jesse Enkamp and Iain Abernethy.

Was it charisma? Was it being in the right place at the right time, albeit, timing? Was it the circles they travel in, alas, knowing the right people for the right reason(s)? Was it that they knew something that we don't know? Was it that they were able to birth a newness into something that was becoming stale and stoic, even though it was as old as time itself? Was it branding about themselves? Was it about the word "practical" that wasn't that practical? Just was it? Luck? Star alignment? Green clovers? Lucky coin/button? Rabbit foot? It's not what you know, but who you know...or vice versa? Presence? Just what??

I will admit, as will many attest to, they both possess notable knowledge as well as notable experience. If I was to gander at either of their calendars, I'm sure they'd find little time for themselves besides the personal moments that they've made for themselves; they'd not time to ponder "what shall I do today/this week?"

They're both in huge demand these days from the four corners of the earth!!

No, before anyone here, if they've not already, says that it sounds like I'm jealous or envious or judgmental or infuriate or whatever word(s) might best serve the tongue, I can honestly say that I'm the furthest from those words of negativity. Yes, I'm respectful of what they've both accomplished on the worlds stage for themselves, as well as for Karate-do; they both are proponents of Karate-do, as well as commerce; either are not a bad thing at all.

So, again, just what was it?? Just what was it??

With what they've both done, singularly and collectively, is without any doubt the dawn of something wonderful and something special; the floor has taken notice of these two in the most favor one can only imagine.

I'm not saying that Sweden as well as United Kingdom are third-world countries, because they aren't. Nonetheless, could've they done what they've done for themselves and Karate-do, with the same intensity, in the USA?? Why do I ask?

Not saying that the USA is the melting pot of Karate-do, because it's just not, and not saying that the USA is the passing grade of anything Karate-do because, again, it's not. However, the USA, in all of it's assumed innocence, can be unassuming in it's opinions about many of things, including Karate-do, in which, the USA's Karate-do practitioners are, if nothing else, suspicious about a many of things, not one over another, particularly anything and everything Karate-do from anyone, if not just everyone, from near as well as from afar!!

Both Jesse and Iain are each of them, mortal and not perfect, blessed in their abilities in the world of Karate-do, and neither of them, from what I can tell, are from on-high, just what do they possess that others cause them to think so highly of them?? Practitioners of Karate-do world-wide are drawn to them like a fly is drawn to the light in the droves.

So, I ask again...

What was it...no...what is it??

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the biggest part of their allure is their ability to communicate their thoughts in an easily understandable manner while carrying themselves in a humble and down to earth manner. Their knowledge and experience is sound, even if it's not the individual's cup of tea; disagreement with them is more of a professional and respectful disagreement than anything else.

In sharp contrast to George Dillman's arrogance, even before he went off the deep end with his no-touch KOs.

Uhhh..what was the question again sensei8? I've reread yoru post twice, and honestly, I'm not understanding what you're saying bud! lol

OK, I know "of" Iain Abernethy and that he's supposed to be very good, but in all honesty, I've never heard of Jesse Enkamp.

I know, I know..I have my head in the sand most of the time! Just keep in mind, I'm from Montana origionally, and we really don't keep track of what's going on in the rest of the world to much. We're to busy enjoying...well...MONTANA! lol

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Having followed Jesse early on, I think that his success was largely due to his charisma and humor. Prior to his blog blowing up, he was really just a dedicated karateka with a good competition record and a family history in the martial arts. It was his humorous, down-to-earth writing style that got people's attention in the beginning. Once his material started being shared, he just had to follow marketing templates from any number of companies that make their money by advertising to readers.

Iain Abernethy is a bit of a different case, in that he built on his teacher's popularity through teaching, rather than writing. Peter Consterdine was already a well-known figure in the UK, when it comes to self defense and karate, and Iain's relationship to Peter helped give him a leg up, locally. He has good material, of course, and a down-to-earth manner that makes him likeable. The more he taught, the more word spread about him, and he was able to put out videos and books for sale, which allowed him to become more well-known worldwide.

In my opinion, both of them were able to do what they did because they are in smaller countries. Sweden has only 9.5 million residents, which means that there are likely fewer instructors to compete with. Jesse's parents are both long-time figures in the Swedish martial arts community, so he already had connections to become well-known locally. Once you are well known throughout the community in your country, it's much easier to launch globally. Although the UK is more more populous, with 64 million residents, it is still much smaller than the US, which has nearly 319 million residents. With a population that large, it is going to be difficult to stand out on a national level, which means you are going to have more competition for attention. If you look at it from an international perspective, if you are looking at bringing someone from another country in for a seminar, you are more likely to book a seminar with the top instructor of another country than with the 10th best instructor in that country, right?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I believe it is because they were dedicated in learning from everyone from competition to going to the origin of karate itself. Jesse travelled to and from Okinawa a lot whilst he was young, and still goes there as an adult to learn from the masters there.

Iain came to prominance due to his ideas on Bunkai as they are more practical than some schools. And he shared his knowledge online.

I have attended one of Jessie's seminars late last year and found that he was approachable and able to convey his knowledge in different ways to people so they understand. Also i believe it is because he understands everyone is different and treats them as equals which makes the appeal much higher.

I am planning on attending a Iain Abnerthy Seminar next year to learn further from him

It helps that they are both fairly non-partisan. A person open to accepting practises from any and all styles in the interest of improving their karate demonstrates humility.

There's so much political nonsense in the karate world. It might be difficult for some to get behind an instructor who is staunchly this or that style/organisation.

Honestly I think it is in part great marketing and the ability to sell themselves and create a brand. That's not to say they're not fantastic martial artists but they've capitalised on their popularity. There are plenty of others who have knowledge and skill but aren't so well known outside their own circle.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Uhhh..what was the question again sensei8? I've reread yoru post twice, and honestly, I'm not understanding what you're saying bud! lol

OK, I know "of" Iain Abernethy and that he's supposed to be very good, but in all honesty, I've never heard of Jesse Enkamp.

I know, I know..I have my head in the sand most of the time! Just keep in mind, I'm from Montana origionally, and we really don't keep track of what's going on in the rest of the world to much. We're to busy enjoying...well...MONTANA! lol

What is it/what was it that brought either of them to the forefront in the seminar MA world of their individual specialties??

:idea:

Most, if not all, MA schools, especially in the USA, won't let you teach THIER student body. So...there has to be a school somewhere that's willing to allow them individually to be allowed to teach. And if MA schools are highly apprehensive about that, then how did they/you/your instructor get that foot into ANY door?

Word of mouth?!?! Sure, very effective! It's not what you know, but it's who you know!! Someone in ones network knows about what you do and how you do it and how different you do it, and they book you, it goes well, then your name spreads around your network, alas, you're filling in your calendar.

It's that suspiciousness that they rest behind because they don't know you from the man in the moon? You say the right things, you do the right things, you sound knowledgeable, you wear the gi properly, you sound/act like you have spent some quality time on the floor, you didn't run into any walls and/or door frames, you don't look like a duck and you don't walk like a duck and you don't sound like a duck, BUT...

They don't know you from the man on the moon!!

Everyone here, thus far, have made some pretty solid posts, and I thank you all, and hopefully, I'll get some others chiming in, and those who've posted so far, will continue this discussion. I especially like what Danielle [DWx] has posted; quite solid, and then some!!

Most, if not all, MA schools, especially in the USA, won't let you teach THIER student body. So...there has to be a school somewhere that's willing to allow them individually to be allowed to teach. And if MA schools are highly apprehensive about that, then how did they/you/your instructor get that foot into ANY door?

Word of mouth?!?! Sure, very effective! It's not what you know, but it's who you know!! Someone in ones network knows about what you do and how you do it and how different you do it, and they book you, it goes well, then your name spreads around your network, alas, you're filling in your calendar.

It's that suspiciousness that they rest behind because they don't know you from the man in the moon? You say the right things, you do the right things, you sound knowledgeable, you wear the gi properly, you sound/act like you have spent some quality time on the floor, you didn't run into any walls and/or door frames, you don't look like a duck and you don't walk like a duck and you don't sound like a duck, BUT...

They don't know you from the man on the moon!!

Everyone here, thus far, have made some pretty solid posts, and I thank you all, and hopefully, I'll get some others chiming in, and those who've posted so far, will continue this discussion. I especially like what Danielle [DWx] has posted; quite solid, and then some!!

Yeah I have heard it is difficult to get international instructors other than those from the hombu dojo to come teach. I am aware that Jesse has seminars in the US this year.

Personally I don't understand why schools wouldn't allow international instructors of high regard to come teach. My sensei has always been open to having instructors come teach if they have something that would benefit our students. The main things that they required were positive history from other clubs and if they are well known (i.e. Jesse Enkamp or Iain Abernethy).