• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where to start training again?

Hello all... I'm considering Martial Arts training again. I was a Shorin-Ryu student while in college in my early 20s and loved it. Now to begin again at nearly 59, I don't think I'm up to the intensity of that style of training. Any suggestions of a Martial Arts style that could improve my flexibility, strength and endurance while minimizing the physical impact that form of Martial Arts would have on me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum!

Pretty much any martial art can be tailored to your personal needs. Of course, there are some limitations, but by and large, you should be able to just go check out the martial arts schools in your area and see which one you like best.

Oh, and don't shy away from Shorin-Ryu because of the intensity you remember--it's always more intense for college kids than for older adults :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Forget styles. Look at dojos. No two teachers, even within the same system teach alike. A good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of what style they're teaching, just as a bad teacher is bad.

A teacher can also be a great teacher, but not be the right fit for you.

You have some MA experience already, so you have a lot better understanding of what you're looking for. Keep an open mind and visit the dojos in your area that don't conflict with your schedule.

Welcome to KF! It's great to have you!

Wastelander is right! If you want, give Shorin Ryu another try to see if it will work for you still.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Forget styles. Look at dojos. No two teachers, even within the same system teach alike. A good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of what style they're teaching, just as a bad teacher is bad.

A teacher can also be a great teacher, but not be the right fit for you.

You have some MA experience already, so you have a lot better understanding of what you're looking for. Keep an open mind and visit the dojos in your area that don't conflict with your schedule.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Welcome to the forum :)

Have a good look around and have a good look. Usually a good dojo should tailor the training to suit your needs.

Probably from a biased opinion, I would recommend you join a Goju-Ryu School due to the training having a large component of Hard and Soft Techniques. So great for older people. This is because i am a goju-ryu practitioner.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a style that you did as a younger person. A wise instructor will take the student into account & not expect the same from a healthy 20 year that they would of a more mature student. The folks above are spot on with that.

Since you've trained before, you have a bit of an idea of what might interest you today. If you have physical limitations that concern you, perhaps try Tai Chi that is more low impact.

Welcome to the forum.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton