• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Continue training or take a break to work on flexibility?

Arvind

I wouldn't lay off classes to work on increased flexibility. Your body will gain flexibility with work and training over time, and its going to be best for you body to gain flexibility by doing what you want your body to do, like trying to kick higher. Know your limits, and work to the extent you can with them. Then, know how to push it just a bit more to improve.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think also, you should bear in mind, not every Martial Artist can do the box splits, it's by no means a necessity. (I think Jean Claude Van Damme has a lot to answer for on that front :lol: ) I can't do them but, I can comfortably kick Jodan level. But not so long ago, I was in the same boat as you. I started Karate again 3 years ago after a 26 year absence, my front kick and side kick came back easy but, my round kick..... That took some work to get up to scratch!!! Even now, with my left leg, I need to do a full hip rotation, for some reason I can't flick it out on my left side but, again, I can get Jodan level comfortably and with power. Work on hip opening stretches and the like, all the while, practice, practice, practice that round kick. It will, in time, come itself. Like JR 137 said, start off low until you get the technique, and the height will creep up naturally.

Good luck with it and welcome to KF :karate:

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

• 1 month later...

Slow and steady will bring your flexibility back. Relax more. Tense less. Laugh more. Worry less. Muscles love heat and massages that will improve flexibility. Find a stretching partner to do pnf exercises with. Having a partner for stretching is your key to success. Use the tapping out signal when it hurts. Many solo stretching techniques are fine in the initial stage but it will plateau. With a stretching partner your flexibility will start to gain a new level of confidence. PNF with a partner is the way to go. There are more stretching exercises that can be performed with two than there is going solo. Stretching may feel sore in the initial stages but in a short amount of time that sensation will be replaced with the actual tug of the muscle being stretched. Take time out for a while if you have over tensed or over worked your muscles. All of the muscle relaxation techniques available should be always kept close at hand. Also like ballet dancers do, try stacking your hips more and bring your knee higher in front, on the side and from behind also. Far more height is derived for kicks by using ballet dancer warm up exercises.