• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bunkai and Kyogi Kumite

Nidan Melbourne

In every style we have Bunkai and begin teaching it at different points in time. And Kyogi Kumite is done in limited schools, but is simply your own interpretation on the kata.

Bunkai is the club or association requirement which is set in stone. Kyogi is what you come up with and is different from person to person.

Now what i am asking is what bunkai do you teach and at what rank do you start teaching it? And the same goes for Kyogi Kumite if your school does this.

For instance for my sandan promotion i have to be able to do the following bunkai and kyogi:

- Gekesai Bunkai

- Saifa Bunkai

- Seeiunchin Bunkai

- Sanseru Bunkai

- 25 Seisan Kyogi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is no specified level as bunkai and application drills are taught and practised in conjunction with each kata. Each student is expected to learn as much from direct instruction as from observing and copying those more advanced.

Every kata has its bunkai sequence consisting of a basic application for each technique. This is learned one technique/application at a time in solo before doing it with partners. When the student can do this comfortably power, speed and later on variations are introduced.

We do not have standard applications that students must know and demonstrate as part of their tests, although my previous style did. As it stands, we teach a variety of applications for every movement, and different people pick up different applications depending on their body type, the body types of their partners, and their personal preferences. In tests, we do "spot checks" for applications, rather than having students demonstrate applications for the entirety of a kata. Basically, after they have performed a kata, we will ask them how they would apply a certain movement or sequence from that kata. We do that for a few sequences in each kata, typically.

Now, in my previous style, there was a standard set of applications that was required for each rank. More than that, you had to demonstrate those applications in several ways--being attacked randomly in the kata, being attacked for every movement in the kata, verbally explaining every application while demonstrating it, and non-verbally instructing someone how to attack you while you perform the kata. This was done for every kata that you learned, for every rank. At brown belt, they did start adding "hakai" (destruction) applications, which was basically just making you pick a spot during the regular bunkai demonstration to do whatever series of finishing moves you want on one of your attackers. They never did any real personalized applications, beyond that.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...
We do not have standard applications that students must know and demonstrate as part of their tests, although my previous style did. As it stands, we teach a variety of applications for every movement, and different people pick up different applications depending on their body type, the body types of their partners, and their personal preferences. In tests, we do "spot checks" for applications, rather than having students demonstrate applications for the entirety of a kata. Basically, after they have performed a kata, we will ask them how they would apply a certain movement or sequence from that kata. We do that for a few sequences in each kata, typically.

Now, in my previous style, there was a standard set of applications that was required for each rank. More than that, you had to demonstrate those applications in several ways--being attacked randomly in the kata, being attacked for every movement in the kata, verbally explaining every application while demonstrating it, and non-verbally instructing someone how to attack you while you perform the kata. This was done for every kata that you learned, for every rank. At brown belt, they did start adding "hakai" (destruction) applications, which was basically just making you pick a spot during the regular bunkai demonstration to do whatever series of finishing moves you want on one of your attackers. They never did any real personalized applications, beyond that.

I totally understand that Noah.

We do Kyogi Kumite as an opportunity for students to understand the kata better and to make applications for all techniques in the kata that suits their physiological needs.

As you said

Basically, after they have performed a kata, we will ask them how they would apply a certain movement or sequence from that kata. We do that for a few sequences in each kata, typically.
this is similar to what we do, but instead of us asking they perform their interpretations with their partner. Often if we feel like they need to demonstrate specific steps we will ask and they will demonstrate on the spot.

For our 1st Kyu Students they have to either perform 10 Saifa Kyogi (Juniors Only) or 25 Seeiunchin Kyogi (1st Kyu Seniors). For all our Black Belt Grades it is 25 seeiunchin irregardless of seniors or juniors, our seniors still perform the 25 seeiunchin with the requirement that they are new for when they go for their Shodan.

As we have 1st kyu then promoted to Shodan-Ho then promoted again to Shodan etc.