• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructing/Teaching amputee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Only the roots of correct movement and mechanics can really be taught. Every student must find the way to adapt these to their own unique morphology. The challenge here is that the instruction must be specifically for that particular student taking into account not only the missing/prosthetic limb, but also the rest. Is the student tall or short? What is the student's build, etc etc. Discussing this with the student would be the best start

The hard thing is there is no one definitive way to do it as each amputee is different.

Probably work with them to develop modifications appropriate to them

Solid post!!

I've not ever had the honor to teach a student that's an amputee. Had I, I would've went along the lines of what Nidan Melbourne posted.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The hard thing is there is no one definitive way to do it as each amputee is different.

Probably work with them to develop modifications appropriate to them

Solid post!!

I've not ever had the honor to teach a student that's an amputee. Had I, I would've went along the lines of what Nidan Melbourne posted.

Thanks :) i have worked with a few amputees in a class previously and each had a different issue.

They were very nice people and they learnt a lot.

Like everyone's said, adapt techniques to the individual. I'll also add... Don't treat him/her as 'disabled.' Everyone needs some empathy in their lives, people with disabilities for the most part don't want sympathy.

Successfully modifying/adapting techniques to the individual is what separates a professional/expert from everyone else.

Like everyone's said, adapt techniques to the individual. I'll also add... Don't treat him/her as 'disabled.' Everyone needs some empathy in their lives, people with disabilities for the most part don't want sympathy.

Successfully modifying/adapting techniques to the individual is what separates a professional/expert from everyone else.

To the bold type above...

Solid post!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What a challenge that would present! I would experiment with different options on each technique, and see where it takes you. Have you thought about doing the techniques without the prosthetic, as well?

What a challenge that would present! I would experiment with different options on each technique, and see where it takes you. Have you thought about doing the techniques without the prosthetic, as well?

That is always the hard part training them in the same techniques but with and without the prosthetic.

The people i have worked with have managed to learn without the prosthetic then in their own time had figured out how to do it with the prosthetic.

This was all before their next class