• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting out in Kumite

grenage

Hi guys,

I'm nearly 35, and have been doing Shotokan Karate for just under a year; I'm a red belt, with my next grading coming up in February (probably).

I quite fancy a bit of kumite, and will be entering a tournament in March - assuming I grade. For the record, I have done no kumite at all, and have no expectations of winning a point, let alone a match.

Short of finding someone in the club willing to spar a little, is there any advice you might have for someone starting out?

Thanks in advance!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Without knowing any details specific to the kind and intensity of kumite, the single best piece of advice for anyone starting is this: control is key. Stay in control of yourself because if you panic and lose control in kumite, somebody will get hurt.

Like driving on a fast, busy road, kumite requires absolute concentration and full awareness to see openings to attack and deal with whatever is coming with split second decision and moves without hesitation whether it is countering, dodging or any other simultatenous timed action.

I would say definitely ask your sensei if you can spar more in class, how often do they do kumite in your class?

I wouldn't want any of my students going into a tournament without sparring in the dojo first, to let them know what to expect, and get a feel for it...

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Relax!!

The more you spar/kumite, the more you'll improve...OVER TIME!! But sparring once a week or less, is counter productive across the board. Things like timing, distancing, transitions, focus, and the basics will take time, but if you don't spar/kumite often, then you'll not have a minimum of an idea what to do in a real fight.

Finding out what works and what doesn't takes that time on the floor with different sparring partners because every fights differently, even those from the same dojo under the same Sensei, and that's due to the fact the were different people; none are the same.

Study your opponent

Study yourself

Make a plan

Carry that play out

In order to wrap your head around all that's involved in sparring will take you doing it more than you could ever imagine. Don't be afraid...don't be over confident...wait for that AHA moment!

Every sparring session is a chance to learn something! Take it all in, make n :) otes, and if possible, have someone record you sparring.

Have fun, and just relax! You're going to be hit, it can't be helped; you'll not deflect/block everything coming at you!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hi guys,

Short of finding someone in the club willing to spar a little, is there any advice you might have for someone starting out?

My general advice for all kinds of tournaments:

Learn the rules, know what will be scored for and against you and learn to spar and fight accordingly

Yes, learning the rules is definitely an important step.

I would say, why enter if you don't expect to score any points? Work out how many you'd like to score, what you would be pretty pleased with as a first attempt, and then start training with a view to achieving that. Then your training has focus and purpose.

Good luck!

I would say, why enter if you don't expect to score any points? Work out how many you'd like to score, what you would be pretty pleased with as a first attempt, and then start training with a view to achieving that. Then your training has focus and purpose.

Well I can still get some mat time, and enjoy myself, even if I don't score a point; it's not like I wouldn't be trying.