• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Roundhouse K.O.

Using the shin area to strike with a roundhouse is highly effective for self-defense as it provides a larger striking surface to the target area. This would be advantageous in using it against an opponents legs to strike the perineal nerve motor point. The striking of this nerve causes pain like a charlie horse and in turn causes a motor dysfunction. A motor dysfunction is defined as a control striking technique which over stimulates motor nerves resulting in a temporary muscle impairment.

The roundhouse is a highly effective scoring technique in competition. It offers more contact points of the foot and leg to use against different targets. The ball of the foot (for penetration and greater striking force without injury)or the instep (for more range in sparring).

But if its a KO you are going for .... creating a motor dysfunction is a more reliable technique than striking a joint. I have seen opponents continue to fight despite the fact they have broken something .... but a motor dysfunction is a neural muscular response and is not dependent upon your opponent's tolerance for pain so they are immediately incapacitated.

Edited by KickChick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would do what Thai_kick said only if I could kick that high against my opponent.

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

But if its a KO you are going for .... creating a motor dysfunction is a more reliable technique than striking a joint. I have seen opponents continue to fight despite the fact they have broken something .... but a motor dysfunction is a neural muscular response and is not dependent upon your opponent's tolerance for pain so they are immediately incapacitated.

Perhaps i just read this wrong but you are talking about a K.O. by kicking your opponent in the thigh with your shin using a roundkick right? ;) lol thx

~BladeLee~

Yes exactly.... however, in TKD we are not allowed to strike with such brutal force in order to incapacitate in such a way but this is a highly effective self defense technique. The person is totally seized up by targeting this large muscle group of the upper leg. The roundhouse in this case is not a "whipping" motion (meaning the leg is not quickly chambered or snapped back) rather you "go through" your target in a thrusting strike.

Ok, exactly what i thought ;) thanks alot. I would probably prefer the ball of my foot to someones face/head rather then my shin though. It doesnt seem like you could generate as much power striking with your shin as you could the ball of your foot when your target is that high(considering your fighting a bigger opponent, or even the same size really). Maybe im wrong, but thats how i see it ;) just my 2cents.

~BladeLee~

Hey KickChick, could you tell me where to kick someones leg for that self defense technique? Be specific please. Thank you in advance. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Well kchenault, im not kickchick ;) but i think i can help. I might not be able to explain this as specifally as you want though. On the side of your leg, near your quad, about halfway between your knee and your hip, is the area you want to strike. When you strike that area, drive your shin through it ;) You should be able to find the spot on yourself just fine, maybe try giving yourself a few palm-hill strikes until you find it :lol: hope that helped a little

~BladeLee~

I am not kickchick either, but, I am also interested in leg kicks because they seem to be very "street worthy". BladeLee was right on the money, I might also add that the knee is also a pretty good striking target. I am just hypothesizing that any well placed kick against any part of the knee is good use of a leg kick. Any comments?...

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."