2016 Martial Arts Goals

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this time of year and coming up with all the goals I wish to achieve in the following year, I don't always reach everything that I set out but that is going to change this year! a number of personal goals to do with finances, then theres my MA goals!

continue and increase my karate training and study including seeking out other places to train.

get back into Iaido and keep it up.

those are my main focuses at the moment.

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

1. Lose about 20lbs

2. Compete in a grappling tournament (I failed to do that last year, and it was one of my goals)

3. Pass my Nidan test

4. Keep improving, in general!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

A goal without a solid plan isn't a goal, it's basically just a wish. Not that I'm implying anyone doesn't have a plan nor should post said plan. I have a few goals, but they're pretty much interconnected...

Get under 200 lbs. I'm around 220, give or take 5 lbs. I work out outside the dojo, but I've got to get more consistent. I've got a heavy bag in my online shopping cart just waiting for something that's a bit out of my control.

Improve my roundhouse and side kick. Way too much tightness in my hips and groin. Going to consult with a former colleague who's currently a head strength & conditioning coach in the NFL. He owes me a favor.

Get smoother/more fluid in my combinations. I'm very good with my hands, and not bad with my feet. Gotta work on seemlessly going from punches to kicks to punches. The heavy bag, flexibility and dropping the excess weight all hold the key.

I'm going to have give my inherited tenant an ultimatum - get his stuff out of half of the basement, or find another place to live. I can't take not having enough room in my own house and asking the same thing several times politely anymore. I guess that's another goal.

I, too, want to get back into "one-derland" (weight under 200 lbs). I lost a ton of weight a few years ago but have let some of that creep back in the past year or two. I want to get back on track with that.

I think I also want to step up with teaching a bit more. I'm probably not ready quite yet to start my own program (though my instructor seems to support it when I bring it up to him), but I hope to step up more and maybe offer to plan and teach the beginner class on my own or step up and teach more pieces of the intermediate/advanced class so I can get more comfortable teaching at that level.

Finally, I want to work more on my sparring game. It's just not where I want it to be, so I want to see if I can find someone willing to spend more time with me on that to bring it up to where I want it to be.

Edit-- I also want to add attend at least one seminar. I've never been to one and I feel like I'm missing out.

Edited by Lupin1