• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They tricked me! They lied to me!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Devin!!! That is awesome. Congrats. :) So happy for you.

What was your reaction like?

Patrick

I was a little bit in shock, but I was really happy. I almost cried because of the overwhelming emotions (and I did later in the car...). I fumbled a little bit taking the belt out of the plastic and putting it on for the pictures and I kept laughing at everything. Other than that I just kept saying "thank you" over and over again. I didn't really know what else to say. I've never seen a black belt promotion (I'm the first one in about a decade) and I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to say. I probably seemed really awkward.

Yesterday I brought my belt with me to work and stuck it in a desk drawer so I could open the drawer every so often and gaze adoringly at it. I didn't go quite as far as my head instructor who loves telling how the night he got his black belt he slept with it under his pillow.

Today I got thank you cards and gift cards for the instructors, but I was so excited to wear black pants for the first time that I forgot them at home... I guess they'll get them after break (though I did offer to take our head instructor out for lunch one day over break as a thank you, so I'll give him his then).

Well done you!

Nice when its all over the dust settles down (as they say) and you are still standing there with your reward!!

Great way to end the year!

2016 looks so SO much better now I suspect? ;-)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Well done you!

Nice when its all over the dust settles down (as they say) and you are still standing there with your reward!!

Great way to end the year!

2016 looks so SO much better now I suspect? ;-)

Yup. One of my "martial arts new years goals" from last year was to get my black belt by the end of the year. I didn't think I was going to make it (which was fine with me-- everything in its time), but I guess I just barely squeaked by.

Really looking forward to the next year now.