• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you position your front foot when you spar?

Id definately go with A on this one, it lets me use a much wider variety of techniques. That teep to the face comment had me crackin up :lol: Oh yeah, an if Im in a side stance or whatever and they decide to shoot in *whoosh* thir already at my back an im probably getting the snot choked outa me :D

To advance the art,

To honor my sifu,

To fight for the sake of the fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally fight from a side stance But I move around so much to draw an attack that it never stays in one direction very long.

I don't believe in just one bouncing stance. Make the opponent constantly guess where you are going. ;)

My opinion is that if your opponent is on his back leg with his toe pointed at you it doesn't take a genius to guess what kick he is going to throw.

If you have a front kick that your opponent can't jam for some reason that approach might work but I don't feel very mobile(especially laterally) sparring with my toe pointed at my opponent.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

• 8 months later...
First Of all you need to get used to sparring,With your right & left side. & Fight in a kibe dachi/horse stance,ALso known as a ready stance,The feet should be shoulder width. Or In a seisanstance/Sho zenkutsu dachi,The feet should be IN a 45 degree angle.But Never keep your front ft pointing toward your opponett,& make sure your KNees are bent. PS I AM A Sandan in ISSHINRYU KARATE.

also you need to get used to being kicked really hard in the groin as fighting in kibe dachi is very inviting

• 2 weeks later...
If you're in left hand sparring stance, how would you position your front foot?

a) Have your front foot directly pointing towards your opponent.(This foot positioning allows for quick front leg front kicks and allows for quick pivot on this foot when you execute a back leg round house kick or side kick.)

b) Have your front foot point 90 degrees to the right from your opponent.

(This foot positioning allows for quick front leg side kicks, but poor pivoting when executing a back leg round house kick or side kick.)

c) Have your front foot pointing 45 degrees to the right from your opponent. (This foot positioning is a compromise of "b" and "c")

What's your answer?

somewhat i do in sparring.

Actually leading foot forward with most of your weight being supported with the back leg. This way you have full mobility of the lead foot and can kick, move, deflect with the lead leg when needed. Get used to fighting with right leg leading as well as left, it shoudn't matter. The last thing you want is to be one sided fighter. Also when someone gives you a good kick to the leg it's relaxed, a well grounded target is easier to hit.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

When squaring off I start with the lead foot pointing at my opponent but it changes as needed.

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh."

• 3 weeks later...

:D :D :D :D

I'm feeling like a kid with a new toy at the minute.

When i'm right side forward, i'm in lead leg TKD kicking mode. very much like bill wallace my lead foot is square onto my apponent. When i'm left side forward i fight like an orthodox kick/boxer with my lead leg pointing at my opponent.

I've recently got my right side forward stance switching from side-on kicking mode to pointing at my opponent blitzing mode awesomely quick. It's my new toy I love it and it's getting faster and faster all the time.

So if i'm kicking it's square, if i'm punching its forwards. But thats very general because i'm very on my toes and always keep moving.

Bretty

• 1 month later...