• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Headaches after MMA class

Darkranger85

Might be worth getting your blood pressure checked. Choke holds can also cause migraines in some people but that isn't really all that serious. Well worth getting your BP done though, that goes for anyone, headaches or not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It might have something to do with the intensity of the practices. My oldest son tends to get headaches during Wrestling practices. I usually try to get him some ibuprofen before hand, and that seems to help.

Ok, I have no issues with normal class. Even on the days where we do cardio/core workout before starting.

But on Monday I decided to stay for the MMA class after regular class. It was pretty intense. Hardcore cardio workout to start and then we went into takedowns and grappling.

My head started to just throb when we started doing the take downs.

My first thoughts are.

1: Being thrown to the ground repeatedly is hard on the head, even if you don't hit your head.

2: Not enough hydration.

Any input? :)

My opinion is that it is poor falling technique. Instructors should teach proper ukemi from the first class and new students should rarely get a headache if taught properly. Of course we can't control the occasional "bad fall" but overall it is unacceptable if your students c/o headache during/after class!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

It sounds like you are suffering from dehydration, and maybe also over heating since rolling can be very draining.

The coffee definitely wouldn't have helped as this causes dehydration.

I used to get really bad headaches after muay thai, it sucks so much so I know your pain bro. I was doing everything to try and pin point the issue.

I started having 2 large bananas 30 min before work out, drinking an electrolyte drink along with plain water, about 1.5-2 liters during the work out. Then having a cold shower straight away once I got home from training to cool my body down. This seemed to really help, stopped getting headaches. I have also really cleaned up my diet, lots of fruits and veges - I'm sure this would have helped also.

Hopefully this helps bro, headaches suck!

Good luck

Hanma Baki

I appreciate all your suggestions.

Hopefully I can test them out next class.

As for teaching falling technique, that's not the teachers fault. We were taught how to break out fall but I'm having trouble doing it properly. I never actually hit my head, I just tend to extend my arms jamming my elbows.