• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Shotokan student, too tense

harpingon

Hi

I'm a novice Shotokan student, will be taking 9th Kyu grading in four weeks. Have been training for 3 months. One 90 minute session per week for a month, then 2.5 hours a week for a month, and latterly up to 4 hours a week, on three days. This is as much dojo time as my club can offer.

We had a guest Sensei in Dojo on Saturday, and he was paying close attention to us novices who were about to do our first grading.

He mentioned, I'm far too tense. Too much tension in stepping, and preparing. Too much tension everywhere really, so there's no real distinction to the final strike or block, and I end up being much more tired than I should be.

He correctly guessed I have a desk job.

I'm 44 years old, and my stretching ability is woeful. I can't do most of the warm up stretches yet in any meaningful way, and I do at least some of the warm up and practice some Kihon every day. I'm coming to Karate from being a runner (still run, actually) and I compete in my running at every distance from 5km races, up to marathon.

I observed myself this weekend, and found in my every day activities from driving, to eating dinner to watching TV that I discovered myself to be tense, and and had to force myself to relax each time. But this would repeat regularly.

I guess my question is, any tips for relaxing? I'm sure it would benefit me in more ways than just Karate, but the very act of 'trying' to relax, is making me anxious and tense!

Sorry if this sounds daft, I can't think of a better way to put it!

Ps. Just had to take a big breath and relax after typing this. Was tense. :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is something that will get better with time. Now that you realize that you are too tense most of the time, you will start actively trying to relax. But, I would also say not to stress over it too much, as it will get better with time.

When practicing techniques, try to stay as relaxed as possible until the moment of impact, or of stopping a technique, and then tense everything at that moment of impact or stoppage. But once you tense, release it, and relax a bit again. To help with breathing, inhale upon preparation of the technique, and exhale sharply on the point of impact or stopping; this will help you tense at impact. Then, relax a bit before moving into the next technique.

It may sound like a lot, but the important thing to do is just keep practicing. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you won't be either. It will come with time.

Enjoy your training, and glad to have you here at KarateForums.com! :karate:

Hi

I'm a novice Shotokan student, will be taking 9th Kyu grading in four weeks. Have been training for 3 months. One 90 minute session per week for a month, then 2.5 hours a week for a month, and latterly up to 4 hours a week, on three days. This is as much dojo time as my club can offer.

We had a guest Sensei in Dojo on Saturday, and he was paying close attention to us novices who were about to do our first grading.

He mentioned, I'm far too tense. Too much tension in stepping, and preparing. Too much tension everywhere really, so there's no real distinction to the final strike or block, and I end up being much more tired than I should be.

He correctly guessed I have a desk job.

I'm 44 years old, and my stretching ability is woeful. I can't do most of the warm up stretches yet in any meaningful way, and I do at least some of the warm up and practice some Kihon every day. I'm coming to Karate from being a runner (still run, actually) and I compete in my running at every distance from 5km races, up to marathon.

I observed myself this weekend, and found in my every day activities from driving, to eating dinner to watching TV that I discovered myself to be tense, and and had to force myself to relax each time. But this would repeat regularly.

I guess my question is, any tips for relaxing? I'm sure it would benefit me in more ways than just Karate, but the very act of 'trying' to relax, is making me anxious and tense!

Sorry if this sounds daft, I can't think of a better way to put it!

Ps. Just had to take a big breath and relax after typing this. Was tense. :-?

That guest instructor knows what he is talking about. listen to him.

Spend A LOT of time just stretching out daily.

interesting knowledge

Here is something very practical that I use with my students:

When training in the dojo, imagine three points on your body, your forehead and each shoulder. Now focus on keeping those three points relaxed when performing techniques and you will find your natural tension is significantly reduced.

Hope that helps..

Tom Runge

Being quite tense is very common for those that are usually quite sedentary. May I ask if you undertake any other exercise other than Karate?

Often it is just tightness that needs to be loosened through stretching, so you will need to make adjustments at work because that is what is making you tense.

I have found over my years in Karate is that people are tense for three reasons:

1) They are uncomfortable in the class setting

2) They are stressed about things outside of class

3) They are sore, from whatever they have done recently.

Some friends of mine, that I have trained with or they train somewhere else have said that they like to meditate daily just to relax.

Being quite tense is very common for those that are usually quite sedentary. May I ask if you undertake any other exercise other than Karate?

I run quite a bit. At least 6 miles on 6 days. Sometimes longer runs, depends what I'm training for, marathon or half, or something shorter.

Often it is just tightness that needs to be loosened through stretching, so you will need to make adjustments at work because that is what is making you tense.

I have found over my years in Karate is that people are tense for three reasons:

1) They are uncomfortable in the class setting

Somewhat. I'm still learning and close physical contact with strangers (slowly becoming not-strangers) is somewhat discomforting. Mostly though, especially with Kumite (gohon I'm okay with), ippon sparring and even one step, I'm accutely aware of my low skill level, so I know that the red belt, yellow belt, green belt I'm sparring with isn't getting much use from the session. At least, that's what I think.

2) They are stressed about things outside of class

Yeah, life, work and just 'stuff'. Lots of stuff.

3) They are sore, from whatever they have done recently.

I do train karate in the evenings mostly, and this will almost certainly be after a run of some distance and pace or other. Saturdays I train karate in the mornings, and usually the running will be after that.

Some friends of mine, that I have trained with or they train somewhere else have said that they like to meditate daily just to relax.

Maybe that will help.

The MA is difficult; I'd have it no other way!! We're not born to do the MA fresh out of the womb!! That's cool!!

There's no since in worrying about days gone by, and there's no since in worrying about days in the future; train for that day!

Allow the training to take care of itself! It will!! What's done is done and nothing can change that. Listen to your instructor in the Nth degree, and train as you've been subscribed to by your instructor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is a great thread!

For what it's worth I'm 47 and have been training 6-7 years and I'm still way to stiff, almost robotic.

I have a tendency to hold my breath when running through kata, my instructor always used to joke that he'd worry about me performing kushanku as I'd probably pass out before I got to the end.

I don't think, for me, it's any of the reasons that Nidan Melbourne gave, it's just about me "learning" to loosen up.

I try and concentrate a lot on breathing now rather than the physical movements and trying to stay loose until you snap at the end of a technique, I think I'm improving but like everything in karate with me it takes a hell of a long time. I must try the tip from Th0mas.

ps A warning though loosen up too much and you'll get criticised for not putting in enough effort :x

Somewhat. I'm still learning and close physical contact with strangers (slowly becoming not-strangers) is somewhat discomforting. Mostly though, especially with Kumite (gohon I'm okay with), ippon sparring and even one step, I'm accutely aware of my low skill level, so I know that the red belt, yellow belt, green belt I'm sparring with isn't getting much use from the session. At least, that's what I think.

I wouldn't worry about that, I learn a great deal from with guys with lower belts . Athou the sparring isn't as "clean" as it is with high belts. I get more time to see what coming at me and allows me time to react the way I should, while still being a useful sparring partner. Its a great aid in training IMO.

Barnes