• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting article out of Japan

Bulltahr

This man has indeed made several good points, however, as others have pointed out the way he conveys his message is somewhat harsh and difficult to accept. Reading the article carefully clearly shows that the author knows this and accepts the fact that it will likely displease many among the target audience.

The point which resonates most in this article is the fact that "martial" karate is different and that dojos where karate is taught in that way are the minority. This is true in Okinawa, Japan and everywhere else. Another important fact often overlooked is that karate was never meant to be taught to large groups. In order to teach it to masses, changes had to be made in the methods.

The average person today is simply unable and unwilling to endure the type of training refered to in the article. The fact of the matter is that martial arts are considered by most as hobby or weekly activity. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Anyone may practise martial arts, but the martial aspect is definitely not for everyone, nor is it everyone's aspiration. If karate was taught with the methods used a mere 30 years ago in Okinawa and Japan, it is very doubtful there would be as many people doing it.

Just 15 years ago, bruises and bloody noses were common. When it happens nowadays everyone panicks and immediately finds fault instead of trying to learn.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is almost comedy to read from a hardcore JKA practitioner about what is traditional, i.e., BUDO Karate, and what is not.

Not to say that Mr. Bertel isn't a fantastic athlete; from his youtube presence he is one of the most gifted people out there. He also demonstrated extreme ability in Kumite and Kata disciplines.

His points about applicability and sincerity in training are largely valid.

But keeping in mind that he comes from a non-Okinawan organization that was founded in 1949, represents only the Shuri-lineage, promotes only sports-karate, and removed all of the throws and wrestling elements integral to Okinawan Karate from its curriculum...in light of this background a claim regarding true karate seems a bit silly.

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

• 2 weeks later...
It is almost comedy to read from a hardcore JKA practitioner about what is traditional, i.e., BUDO Karate, and what is not.

Not to say that Mr. Bertel isn't a fantastic athlete; from his youtube presence he is one of the most gifted people out there. He also demonstrated extreme ability in Kumite and Kata disciplines.

His points about applicability and sincerity in training are largely valid.

But keeping in mind that he comes from a non-Okinawan organization that was founded in 1949, represents only the Shuri-lineage, promotes only sports-karate, and removed all of the throws and wrestling elements integral to Okinawan Karate from its curriculum...in light of this background a claim regarding true karate seems a bit silly.

GojuRyu Bahrain, you beat me to it. Bertel spends a great deal of time telling everyone that if they do not practice and train like the JKA he is part of, they are doing it wrong. He hammers on about "traditional" karate. Which, in his large classes, doing tons of line work, working to perfect his point sparring and over emphasizing movements in kata for dramatic effect, he claims to be doing. While he may have a point that folks don't generally want to train in more traditional karate, I think he is blinded from the forest by all the trees around him.

I could pick his points apart individually, but unless it's called for, I don't see the point in it here. Each person is free to train as they please. The claim of the most traditional of karate is hard to make and do so honestly. The JKA thinks they are doing it right, when a lot of it is Japanese college club, post war expansion and sport oriented. Others are making the same claim from different angles and have just as thin a grip.

Traditional karate, from what I've read and seen pointed out by others is different. My frame work, generally pre-WWII stuff. It is small group, emphasizes paired drill work, is combative in nature, focuses on a handful of kata and includes answers for attacks from long range to short, with a heavy flavor of standing grappling and striking combined.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

The JKA has developed it's PR skills very effectively over the last 10 years or so. So even the association Andre is part of still falls victim to the marketing and promotional requirements of an international association.

I've been reading Mr Bertel's blog with enjoyment over the years now, but I must admit I have become quite surprised by his own sense of worth. It's not necessarily stated in words but more in the tone of his articles. I have also seen his most recent videos on YouTube and I personally think he is a little too rough with his volunteers. His scissor kick for example should only be done on people who know how to break fall properly. Humility can go a long way.