• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting article out of Japan

Bulltahr

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I see the points he is trying to make. I'm not locked into the Karate world, so I don't know how much of what he states takes place or doesn't. But, everyone has a different take on things, too.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Good stuff.

But he needs to be more "politically correct" in his statements. A lot of instructors think like he does but cannot be so "hardcore" due to having to deal with the "MASSES".

If this "guy" ever starts to actually "TEACH" and have his own "DOJO", he will realize that training as a "STUDENT" is much easier and he may begin to start realizing "WHY" the true way of Karate-do is not really practical to "pay the bills".

Its a "fine line" between Karate-do and being able to keep a dojo open.

He is young and going thru the Physical aspect of "KARATE-DO", wait till he gets older and his skills diminished and if he ever gets good enough to have his OWN dojo and pay bills, His "ideals" WILL change. Its just part of learning.

KARATE-DO.

interesting knowledge

I can definately see his points. I think he speaks the truth in most cases, he does venture out there a little but he's pretty well spot on.

My current dojo is both of the things he mentions. They teach the old way, short distance power, straightest path to attack, nothing fancy. At the same time they incorporate some new age stuff as well, lots of locks, takedowns, etc that are not part of the traditional system. I feel like it's an OK thing since it does not clutter the practical use of the style.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Actually, he has his own dojo in Japan, does 1 x 1 sessions and travels internationally to do seminars etc. Not sure if it's his only job tho.

But I believe he is "super traditional" in all aspects of his Karate.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Actually, he has his own dojo in Japan, does 1 x 1 sessions and travels internationally to do seminars etc. Not sure if it's his only job tho.

That is great.

But i mean "MASSES". not 1x1 or small groups. To develop a large(1,000's - 1,000,000's) of followers, the Head of the organization needs to be politically correct. That is just how it is.

He has great points, but the great ambassadors of Karate are pretty nice about what they say about other "KARATEKA".

Anyone can open a dojo, but to become well known it takes a lot of sacrifices to what true KARATE / Martial Arts is. Sacrifices like "softening" ones teaching and requirements.

He will learn later when he gets older and his "Dojo" has a ceiling of a handful of students.

interesting knowledge

That is great.

But i mean "MASSES". not 1x1 or small groups. To develop a large(1,000's - 1,000,000's) of followers, the Head of the organization needs to be politically correct. That is just how it is.

He has great points, but the great ambassadors of Karate are pretty nice about what they say about other "KARATEKA".

Anyone can open a dojo, but to become well known it takes a lot of sacrifices to what true KARATE / Martial Arts is. Sacrifices like "softening" ones teaching and requirements.

He will learn later when he gets older and his "Dojo" has a ceiling of a handful of students.

I hear you, real world, paying the bills business model, but I guess he may be one of the lucky exceptions to the rule in that students come to him because of his traditional attitude to karate. Most definitely would not work for everyone.

I have never met the guy, but I believe he has a pretty good reputation in JKA circles. There's not a lot on Youtube, but there is quite a good interview with him there somewhere.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

That is great.

There are plenty of schools that didn't "sell out" and water down their arts because of numbers. Even in the US. While Kyokushin is more splintered than a windshield that was hit with a brick, they've got big numbers. World Oyama karate, Enshin, etc. Then there's a Muay Thai, kickboxing, boxing, MMA, and so on. I think that here in the US, karate has been stereotyped as a kids' point fighting art across the board. Wrongly so, but it is what it is. The people who would have taken full-contact or hard nosed karate are basically going to the MT, kickboxing, MMA gyms rather than karate. If these options weren't available, I'm sure it would be like it was in karate's "golden age."

Not that I'm saying full-contact is the only type of karate that's worth anything or even effective. I study Seido Juku, and it's not knockdown like Kyokushin.

The McDojos are what they are. But if you look around, there's plenty of serious karateka and dojos around. They're just not advertising and/or on every corner with huge signs and posters. They'd rather you come to them than them coming to you.

That is great.

I hear you, real world, paying the bills business model, but I guess he may be one of the lucky exceptions to the rule in that students come to him because of his traditional attitude to karate. Most definitely would not work for everyone.

I have never met the guy, but I believe he has a pretty good reputation in JKA circles. There's not a lot on Youtube, but there is quite a good interview with him there somewhere.

I like what that guy says. the problem i have is his delivery. He is screaming for everyone for respect. That in itsself is not "BUDO". The reason some great Karateka become popular is their "personality". Kanazawa,Asai,Higaonna,etc .. they would not say other peoples Karate is "Rubbish/fake" to the masses(they may say it to there best and closes instructors, but NOT TO the average masses).

That guy sounds like a Yahara or Tanaka mold. beat up people and hit people in seminars or training . But as those great Karateka age, they become less sought after.

He may be good now, but he is just going thru the "PHYSICAL" aspect of True budo karate... he will get it later on in life.

I personally when thru that stage when i was competing and younger "just do it this way" "just punch" "stop complaining and do it" . It is like a "kyu" rank in the complete life of a Karateka.

Another thing i disagree with according to his "BUDO". I dont think jumping around organizations is good "BUDO" . Loyalty is very important to the Japanese culture / BUDO.

I could go on for hours on Bushido/budo .

BUT LOYALTY is where it starts (REAL BUDO/BUSHIDO).

interesting knowledge

That is great.

There are plenty of schools that didn't "sell out" and water down their arts because of numbers. Even in the US. While Kyokushin is more splintered than a windshield that was hit with a brick, they've got big numbers. World Oyama karate, Enshin, etc. Then there's a Muay Thai, kickboxing, boxing, MMA, and so on. I think that here in the US, karate has been stereotyped as a kids' point fighting art across the board. Wrongly so, but it is what it is. The people who would have taken full-contact or hard nosed karate are basically going to the MT, kickboxing, MMA gyms rather than karate. If these options weren't available, I'm sure it would be like it was in karate's "golden age."

Not that I'm saying full-contact is the only type of karate that's worth anything or even effective. I study Seido Juku, and it's not knockdown like Kyokushin.

The McDojos are what they are. But if you look around, there's plenty of serious karateka and dojos around. They're just not advertising and/or on every corner with huge signs and posters. They'd rather you come to them than them coming to you.

Marketing, Marketing and Marketing.

Even "Hardcore" knockdown Martial Arts have great Marketing behind them.

Its not "selling out" it is the changing culture. If i were to teach how i trained , i will get law suits and complaints every week.

Edited by Maybetrue

interesting knowledge