• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Switching Martial Arts Styles

If one is bored with training and gives up after a mere 6 months, perhaps such a person is not suited for the martial arts. Martial arts by nature are boring and repetitive. No matter what the school or system, if one lacks the patience and determination to persevere through repeated training how can one expect to gain any sort of skill?

Too many people expect instant results and forget that those who are skilled got that way precisely because they trained the same things day in and day out. Over and over again. For many years.

That's true to an extent but it can just be you're really not gelling with the instructor and teaching methods. In my own training I know I've been to some really boring Tkd classes where is been so bad I've wanted to walk out, and yet I can go to a different instructor and school, cover the same content and feel really enthusiastic throughout the whole session. Not everyone can teach well and not every teacher is suitable for every student.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It sounds, to me, that you have an issue with the teaching style, not necessarily the art, itself. Spartacus Maximus and bushido_man96 have valid points, as well--effective training is often repetitive and boring, regardless of the style. You could ask your Uechi-Ryu instructor if it would be possible to do a wider variety of training, to liven things up. If you do insist on finding somewhere else to train, you will need to watch classes and talk to the instructor to see if they teach the way you want. The style isn't going to dictate that so much as the individual instructor, so don't rule out anything that you didn't like before.

Solid Post

In agreement with the point put forward about the teaching style and method. It is indeed shallow judgement to dismiss an entire system simply because one finds the instruction style incompatible with one's learning style.

Most instructors of East Asian systems have inherited their methods from their teachers and thus reproduce it in their own dojo. This trend is especially common for those who were trained in East Asia or by East Asian exponents. These methods, although tried and tested are not necessarily suited to modern culture or the Western mind. They are not set in stone either and it is the mark of a wise teacher to adapt training methods.