• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Targeted short term training

After nearly one year since my evaluation for 1st kyu, I have decided to change my personal practise sessions following the recommendations of my instructor. For the last two weeks at the dojo the entire two hours has been spent on front kicks, mostly with the left leg. Step by step holding(raise, kick, retract, foot down) each step held. Slow, quick and full power.

Once in a while the same sort of thing is done with punching or blocking. Everything else has been set aside except for kihon kata, which was only one day in each week for about a half hour out of the two hours. Dojo sessions will continue in this fashion until perhaps February.

Kicking is unnatural for most people and a common weakness as opposed to upper body techniques. Therefore, following my instructor's method, I decided that for daily home training I would do the same thing instead of doing the usual kihon, kata and oyo kumite solo drills. There is some uncertainty about any improvements, but I have been getting positive comments so I must be on the right track.

Has anyone else ever done this? Input from intermediate or shodan and above level martial artists would be very much appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it's a good idea, what you're wanting to do.

It's YOUR MA training, train as see fit!! More importantly, breaking up the training/practicing routine is not only a way to get fresh eyes on the matter but it's also necessary in ones MA growth; betterment improved.

However, I'd be quite attentive to ineffectiveness so that it doesn't change positive muscle memory. If it doesn't feel right, then more than likely, it's not right. Find out why before discarding it!

If there's more than one way to skin a cat, then, by that logic, there's more than one way to train. Listen to the advice of your Sensei! The ultimate person that will make that final decision is...YOU!! No matter the advice of your Sensei, what you do behind close doors is your business. However, your Sensei will notice, both the good as well as the bad in your technique. Most Sensei's don't have any proper bedside manners, and they will tell their student the blunt truth.

I'd never get in the way of a student and their ways to increase their MA betterment. Albeit, if what they're doing is counterproductive to effectiveness, then I'd counsel them. While my counsel is above all other counsel, the decision is theirs to make.

You've got my support!! Train hard...train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you for the support. The idea was entirely from my instructor but it is nothing new. At a certain point in training it becomes necessary to work on detail and improving specific areas. Basics are often neglected but they are actually the most difficult to do correctly and they are the foundation of the system.

It makes perfect sense to spend more time training these than anything else. Especially at the intermediate kyu and lower dan levels. General practise of everything is good but learning to pick one thing and focus on improving it is vital to increasing skill.

Karate training truly advances as an aged tortoise with arthritis in the legs....

I don't see anything wrong with really breaking down techniques and working on the details. Its a great way to fine tune technique. Where I'm at now, though, I'd much rather be doing some form of partner training to fine tune those same basic techniques in an application setting. For me, that's where its at. Pretty technique is nice, but applicable technique is better.

The intent here is for intermediate level student and lower dan level students to fine tune the basic techniques so that correct body mechanics are ingrained. This must be done at this level before the same techniques can be practised in other drills and with partners later on.

The higher dan students probably train in that fashion. A technique must be correct before it can be made applicable and effective. One more reason why I believe the instructor has asked me to do this is that there might be an official evaluation in store in a few months.

In my opinion, I think an intermediate level or dan level student should have correct technique, and should be working more on application at those levels, but that is my thought on the matter. Perfecting things is a nice thought, but one shouldn't let perfect become the enemy of the good.