• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strengthening Kicks

JR 137

I've tried to do some work like this with cable machines in our gym, and have found some success in doing them. I haven't done them for some time, though, and just prefer lifting.

You are taking the right approach in your technique, though, especially in not going too fast. Sounds like you have a good system going!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds pretty amazing, some of the gyms I've come across look at me odd and ask me to stop or a few rules about 'proper use of equipment", sadly I gave up on them in the end and started to mess with DIY kit!

Been thinking about this type of training setup.

I can't make my mind up with doing some type of pulley setup with a weight or two at one end, or simply getting some kinetic bands and anchoring them to a wall or floor as I kick!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Going too fast with this isn't going to end well IMO. The weight pulling back on you at the end will torque/twist your knees, hips and spine. Not a good thing.

I do them at a good pace, but I'm not trying to get lightning speed in my kicks while the pulley is attached. I think it's all in that split second pause - knee up, extend the lower leg, bring it back, then back down into stance.

As crazy as it sounds, front kick feels so much better out of zenkutsu dachi when the weight is attached.

The biggest benefit I've felt during class is my balance has improved a lot. I'm not trying lean nearly as much to counterbalance. My center of gravity is so much closer to where it should be while kicking. I'm rooted more while throwing kicks and can concentrate the power into the target rather than trying to stay on my feet. No, I wasn't all over the place before, and my kicks were pretty strong; this has just taken them to the next level.

Gotta figure out how to make roundhouse kicks comfortable with pulleys attached. I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.

Sounds pretty amazing, some of the gyms I've come across look at me odd and ask me to stop or a few rules about 'proper use of equipment", sadly I gave up on them in the end and started to mess with DIY kit!

Been thinking about this type of training setup.

I can't make my mind up with doing some type of pulley setup with a weight or two at one end, or simply getting some kinetic bands and anchoring them to a wall or floor as I kick!

The kinetic bands will definitely work. My issue with them (other than what I previously mentioned) is that I can't get a full range of motion with them. You need a very long band, and it needs to have some tension on it from before you start the kick.