• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That little thing that just annoys you more than it should!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who are unwilling to actually do what is being taught are another very disruptive annoyance. There is no such thing as a non-contact martial art. How can one expect to learn to strike, grapple or throw or apply anything if one never has any contact at some point in training? These sorts of people have no business doing any martial art and are better off in an aerobics class or a knitting club. It is as nonsensical as wanting to learn to swim but refusing to get wet.

No such thing as a non-contact martial art? Tell that to these guys...

Quoted from http://www.wmakarate.com/rates-policies

"2) Do not spar unless under the supervision of the Instructor. During Free Style Sparring, NO OFFENSIVE CONTACT is allowed at any time. There are no kicks to the head, face, neck or groin area allowed. Contact shall be limited to the execution of a defensive move (Countering) during Free Style or Three-Step Sparring practice; provided however, that such defensive moves are properly executed with control and not intended to cause physical injury. NO CONTACT is allowed at any time except as set forth above."

What does that look like at the higher levels? This is allegedly a 5th dan test (not being sarcastic with the allegedly part; that's what it said)...

No copyrights that I saw in the video, posted the link to my quote, and didn't take more than a fair amount. I'm trying to get this right :)

wow.

they must be in great aerobic shape though(seriously).

Looked to me like the one guy sparring was sucking wind after 1 minute...each match was maybe 15-20 seconds? Would also like to see all of the BBs after doing about 5-6 kata at that frenzied pace...

Going back on topic, and maybe a different type of complaint...no matter how good I am about washing my Gi it still gets sweat stains I have yet to figure out how to remove. Mine isn't the worst I've seen (some people have originally white Gis that are some shade of yellow throughout) but I still don't like how mine look.

After a while any pure cotton canvas gi becomes impossible to keep completely white. It is frustrating to end up with those yellowish stains that never completely disappear no matter how one tries to wash them out.

I hate that especially the ring around the collar. I mean I know no one else can see it. But I see it, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Which is one of the only reasons why I only wear my white gi top or whole white gi in general for special occasions such as promotions.

Teachers are always learning

Gis made of Japanese cotton like Shureido and Tokaido typically don't change color like that. According to my tailor, that light blue tint they have the first few washings is ultraviolet brightener, which keeps it from changing colors.

I had a Shureido K-10 that I wore for about 4 years. Wore it 4-5 times a week, many times 2 classes back to back. Never changed color. My 6 month old KI heavyweight gi is starting to turn yellow under the armpits and has a grayish tint to it after 6 months of use.

I've heard that the water quality has something to do with this as well. If there's a high concentration of naturally occurring stuff in the water, I believe it makes it worse.

Next pet peeve that shouldn't bother me, but it does...

People who don't do push-ups, or press-up for my British brethren, correctly. I don knuckle push-ups in the dojo. If we do 20, most people are done before I get to 10. I thought I was slow, weak, and out of shape at first. Because I wasn't looking forward, but rather looking down at the floor, I didn't see that everyone else is barely bending their elbows. A lot of head and shoulder nodding while on their palms and sometimes knees.

Arms should be out about shoulder width; a little further or closer is acceptable. Bend at the elbows while keeping your body straight, lower until right before your chest touches the floor, then come all the way up until your elbows are straight. Repeat however many times Sensei says. Keep in mind this is in adults' class and most are higher ranked than I am.

Very few things that others do that have zero effect on my training bother me. This is one of them. And I hate that it bothers me.

Rant over.

People who don't do push-ups, or press-up for my British brethren, correctly. I don knuckle push-ups in the dojo. If we do 20, most people are done before I get to 10. I thought I was slow, weak, and out of shape at first. Because I wasn't looking forward, but rather looking down at the floor, I didn't see that everyone else is barely bending their elbows. A lot of head and shoulder nodding while on their palms and sometimes knees.

Arms should be out about shoulder width; a little further or closer is acceptable. Bend at the elbows while keeping your body straight, lower until right before your chest touches the floor, then come all the way up until your elbows are straight. Repeat however many times Sensei says. Keep in mind this is in adults' class and most are higher ranked than I am.

Very few things that others do that have zero effect on my training bother me. This is one of them. And I hate that it bothers me.

Rant over.

That, and also even though you do every exercise properly, with speed and still you end up last to finish, shows in the next grading tho...........

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Rant over.

That, and also even though you do every exercise properly, with speed and still you end up last to finish, shows in the next grading tho...........

Yeah, I know. I just hate it when you hear about 5 people kiai signaling they're done with 20 push-ups while I'm on number 8. And when I'm holding a push-up position on my knuckles the proper way, and three or four people are on their palms and/or knees while each person takes turns counting to 10 before we all go all the way down.

I shouldn't care what others do. It should make me feel good to be one of the very, very few doing them right, but it still aggravates me. And most of all, it aggravates me that it aggravates me!

The perfectionist!

That person that holds up a session whilst they go over and repeat and replicate a 'thing' because the angle of the hand or the width of a stance is off a degree or a finger width!!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

well I don't get annoyed but i hate rude kids who has an attitude

It started on Friday about 3 weeks ago I was helping one of the instructor she was a 2nd degree black belt and she was explaining to all the beginner the procedure of the test and one of the student was so rude he was having an attitude during class he was rude to his fellow kids like he knows every thing and when the instructor was explaining on how to put the belt he just throw the belt like that's rude and he said he has no respect for his mom at the end of the class i told the instructor i'm helping with that we should tell to the head instructor that he was rude

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate