• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That little thing that just annoys you more than it should!

I have several, but one that I see everytime I go to the dojo is poorly tied, or overly long or short belts.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine would have to be collectors and dabblers. People who try to pick up as many kata or techniques as possible but are unwilling to take the time to fully understand them or make them usable.

These types are unable to commit themselves to a single system for long enough to make any real progress and often jump from one thing to the next always looking for the ultimate martial arts that will make them the ultimate fighter.

This one hits it for me. The worst part is when you will see them brag that they are the "ultimate fighter" because they have a "better understanding" of techniques across multiple disciplines, then, when asked to perform some of these techniques, they show only a cursory knowledge of them at best. Grrr.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I have several, but one that I see everytime I go to the dojo is poorly tied, or overly long or short belts.

Or when one end of the belt is about 3 inches long and the other hangs to their ankle. Really? And I've seen this in both children and adults.

Disrespect from teenagers drives me insane. I've never been disrespected by an adult, and children I'll typically pass off depending on their age/maturity level. But age 10 and up who demonstrate bad manners and attitude cause me to fear for their future. Especially if they aren't new to training. Like a rude kid on his first day, ok. He will learn. But a rude kid whose been training and whose behaviour has been corrected nightly for the past 4 years surely doesn't intend to improve.

Also, senpais at seminars. I understand the beneficial intention behind having 10 instructors walking around correcting a group of 60 people's techniques, but in many personal cases ive found it to be NOTHING but detrimental.

For example, I once in about a 2 minute span had at least 4 different instructors walk over and grab my retraction arm and put it into a different position. It was frustrating! One instructor would change the position and then 30 seconds later while I was still in position, another would grab it and move it.

Another example was when sensei Yaguchi was teaching a seminar. we were going from geidan barrai in front stance switching to yoko empi in kibadachi. Sensei Yaguchi himself had put IMMENSE emphasis on coming to center first before shifting out to the side. It's just what we were practicing. So, one senpai walks over to me and says "why are you doing that?" and I said "it's what sensei instructed" and he said "thats just for juniors. at your level you should be going direct." WHAT!? You're going to contradict sensei Yaguchi in the middle of his class!? You nut! So, I abided by senpai. Sensei Yaguchi stopped the class again because some of us still werent getting it.(most likely because said senpai was not allowing us to.) Again Sensei Yaguchi explained the importance of coming to center and not going direct. So I continued my training with his instruction.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Another example was when sensei Yaguchi was teaching a seminar. we were going from geidan barrai in front stance switching to yoko empi in kibadachi. Sensei Yaguchi himself had put IMMENSE emphasis on coming to center first before shifting out to the side. It's just what we were practicing. So, one senpai walks over to me and says "why are you doing that?" and I said "it's what sensei instructed" and he said "thats just for juniors. at your level you should be going direct." WHAT!? You're going to contradict sensei Yaguchi in the middle of his class!? You nut! So, I abided by senpai. Sensei Yaguchi stopped the class again because some of us still werent getting it.(most likely because said senpai was not allowing us to.) Again Sensei Yaguchi explained the importance of coming to center and not going direct. So I continued my training with his instruction.

That is definitely frustrating. Conflicting teachings are difficult to get around, particularly without disrespecting one or both of your teachers.

The only major course that I have attended, in Windsor April 2014, there were four top sensei's working in partnership. The entire assembly of attendees were split into four groups and each sensei focused on one group, and that was all there was to it. No conflicts, no 'senpais' wandering around, just one teacher to his smaller group of students. I learned a lot from that course :)

That is definitely frustrating. Conflicting teachings are difficult to get around, particularly without disrespecting one or both of your teachers.

The only major course that I have attended, in Windsor April 2014, there were four top sensei's working in partnership. The entire assembly of attendees were split into four groups and each sensei focused on one group, and that was all there was to it. No conflicts, no 'senpais' wandering around, just one teacher to his smaller group of students. I learned a lot from that course :)

That sounds like a wonderful system :)

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Not many things annoy me but one pet peeve is predictable sparring. This is mainly a trait in younger karateka who have come to a proper class from a McDojo where they pretended to do karate rather than putting any effort, awareness or thought into what they are doing. It is easy to get a point off them just by doubling a technique, they are expecting kick-punch or block-punch not kick-kick or punch-punch, especially if you double the technique on the same arm or leg. I also like to throw a trap, lock or pin in there just to really take them out of their comfort zone. The last guy I managed to get in a good head and shoulder lock nearly had a full-blown panic attack, needless to say he is a bit more wary while sparring now.

People who don't want ANY contact. Makes sense if they're in a non-contact system, but Seido is a contact system. It's not bare knuckle, but it's definitely not tap sparring either. I've encountered these individuals my first time around and this time around; in my dojo and other dojos in both organizations. My previous system was founded by 2 former Seido and Kyokushin karateka.

There's a young lady at my current dojo who drives me crazy with this. She's a great person, but I hate sparring with her. She stands at least 2 feet out of striking range, and throws countless punches and kicks. I don't bother blocking 99% of them because they have zero chance of landing. I go in to attack/counter, and I see that look in her eyes. It's not a look of fear, it's a look of aggravation. I pull my techniques and end up tapping, but even that seems like too much for her. We do some non-contact sparring now and then, and she'll be at the proper range. Whenever I block something, she takes this annoying voice and says "no contact." I don't block hard; I just lightly push the strike away. I usually say "I have to block." Her eyes roll, and my CI always follows with "yes, he needs to block" whenever he hears her say it. I wonder what she'll say when she tests for shodan at our honbu as she's now a 1st kyu.

I understand everyone has their comfort levels and issues. I get everyone has to progress at their own pace. Just because I want to be hit hard doesn't mean everyone else does nor should. When someone hits me as hard as I think they should, it forces me out of my comfort zone and makes me have to react. It forces me to be sharp.

I'm not some animal who goes around hitting everyone as hard as I can. Other than a few people who complain that everyone hits them too hard, I've never had someone complain. But if you've been in a system for a few years that has contact, not wanting anyone to touch you is absurd.

Rant over.

What is funny and annoying is when the "full/hard styles" think that point tournament fighters dojo kumite the same as they fight in the point tournaments.

We used to have alot of "full contact" traditional styles come to train or even lead class. For some reason when it comes to sparring . The full contact students think our style does not have full contact dojo sparring which is totally different from the "RULES" one has to follow in a point tournament. most never came back to visit or train anymore.

Another thing is that most of the "legendary" street fighters in our state(which has a high concentration of great fighters) were the point system champions or boxers. not the hard contact styles. go figure that one out.

????????

interesting knowledge

People who are unwilling to actually do what is being taught are another very disruptive annoyance. There is no such thing as a non-contact martial art. How can one expect to learn to strike, grapple or throw or apply anything if one never has any contact at some point in training? These sorts of people have no business doing any martial art and are better off in an aerobics class or a knitting club. It is as nonsensical as wanting to learn to swim but refusing to get wet.