• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

contact lenses

aes

My Sensei told me today that when sparing I should not wear my soft contact lenses as he has heard I can cut my eye or worse with them in if I got hit on the eye.

Is this true? I can't see how it can be as they are so soft.

Al

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i wear contacts. i also compete full contact without taking them out. i've never had a problem with it yet. i've even gotten black eyes without them popping out or even moving. maybe i'm just lucky.

Sid

That's far from true, you can't be cut with a soft lens. I remember when I was 12 my Karate sensei wouldn't let me wear contacts or my glasses for the tournaments I was in and I couldn't see more than a foot in front of me before things got really blurry. That wasn't fun.

I have not heard this. Perhaps you should call your contact lense provider. I would be interested to hear the answer.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Thanks for the feedback... my issue is glasses will fog up as I run hot when doing my Karate, not to mention the risk of them being plowed into my head.

I really can't see how soft contacts could cut your eyes. They are so soft and even if the got pused in behind my eye the tend to come back out, no big deal. My eyes are not that bad but my depth perception is a way off without them.

Al

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

I wear them and have never had a problem. I even got one in the eye the other night and just blinked a few times and viola, back to normal. Luckily this is not a regular occurance. :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

We have some students who wear glasses and I really think they are in a real danger. But contact lenses, soft ones, to be dangerous ... hmm never heard of it :)

I think it's better to wear these instead of normal glasses. Some would say you shouldn't train if you have eyesight problmes, bu I guess it wouldn't be fair and I wouldn't stop just because of this. :)

Try to contact those who provided you with the lenses, as someone already observed here, or try to search some materials concerning this "topic". And bring you sensei a page full of materials :D :D :D

Or ask you doctor and try to get those 2 together.

I would say that there really is no physically possible way that a soft contact lense can cut your eye, it has the feeling and consistency of saran wrap! If your sensei has seen this before, it was probably from the strike the opponent made that caused the cut.

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi